Martin Stevnhoved

Dashboard requires administrative privileges

Hi.

When running Dashboard as an ordinary user, it asks for the password of an administrator.

Are there anyway we can let the dashboard be executed as a normal user, so we don't have to leave an unattended computer been loged in as administrator?

Br,

Martin

Hi Martin,

We require administrative access so that we can write to the Program Files directory (to install updates). There is no way for you to run Pulseway Dashboard without administrative rights without breaking some functionality.

Chris

On 5/27/2016 at 9:06 PM, Dilbert said:

Why not move the update function to a seperate windows service? Would make our life much easier.

We also require administrative privileges for editing the registry settings and updating the remote desktop libraries. We will consider requesting user elevation when administrative rights are required.

This isn't a good way of doing things - we're trying to lock down general user access here so that helpdesk people don't need admin rights on their own PCs.

This is a two year old thread, and there appears to have been no movement or action from Pulseway in that time.

Happy to have people need to login as admin when there is an update, but Pulseway should not be demanding admin access just to run a dashboard - that is a security vulnerability.

Thanks

Eric

This issue is still the same it seems. Can you at least consider having the dashboard on a web interface so we can run it on any account on any platform? There really is no reason we should be made to keep an admin account unlocked for this. We are using a non-domain PC for this but still this is not a good example from a company like Pulseway.

Hi @Pasan,

Yes, it is planned to introduce the Pulseway RD connections from the Pulseway WebApp into the future. In a meantime you may use your mobile device to connect to the required system.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By sarj2001
      Would love a way to silently install and run Dell command update utility to Dell endpoints to keep drivers up to date, as Dell are frequently rolling out driver updates.
      Has anyone been able to make this work for them? 
      I've looked into it and found some sample scripts on reddit to try and edit and test. the problem I have is getting dell command update to install first, then getting the configuration file out to the required computers that need it, then running the update silently. 
      If someone has managed to get this working, I would love to see how you did it, or kindly ask for some sample scripts to work with?
      Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• By Martti Nuudi
      Hi,
      I have configured and applied default storage notification policy to all my Windows workstations that is set to send a notification when the system partition has less than 5% with priority elevated.
      But all the notifications I get about storage say: The free space on disk drive C: on computer computername in group groupname - Office - Workstations' is below 15% (ex. 16.24 GB free of 118.18 GB).
      How can I make the applied policy to respect the right percentage specified in the group policy?
      Do

• By BobC
      I have one customer workstation (actually a laptop) that I cannot assign a patch policy.  All of the other systems in this customer group are fine.  When I try to assign it via my mobile, I get "change OS patch policy command failed".  Nor can I assign it via the Pulseway Web app - it shows "no actions available" for that one system.
      I tried remotely restarting the laptop, and I tried repairing the local agent installation, but no joy.
      Any suggestions?
      Thanks!
      Bob
    • By Geddie
      Looking for a script that I can run to drop from XXX domain, set to "WORKGROUP" and reboot.    I used to have this in a command line form that I can't find.
    • By NadeCatcher
      Hello,
      I've been trying to turn on my computer when I'm away from the house using both mobile data and another WiFi connection. When I'm on the same network the wake up command works but if I'm using mobile data I'll get the message "Wake up command failed" and when I'm on another network it says "wake up command sent" but nothing happens. I have the necessary port forwarded (UDP 9) and through the Pulseway android app port monitor I can see it works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks