Martin Stevnhoved

Dashboard requires administrative privileges

Hi.

When running Dashboard as an ordinary user, it asks for the password of an administrator.

Are there anyway we can let the dashboard be executed as a normal user, so we don't have to leave an unattended computer been loged in as administrator?

Br,

Martin

Hi Martin,

We require administrative access so that we can write to the Program Files directory (to install updates). There is no way for you to run Pulseway Dashboard without administrative rights without breaking some functionality.

Chris

On 5/27/2016 at 9:06 PM, Dilbert said:

Why not move the update function to a seperate windows service? Would make our life much easier.

We also require administrative privileges for editing the registry settings and updating the remote desktop libraries. We will consider requesting user elevation when administrative rights are required.

This isn't a good way of doing things - we're trying to lock down general user access here so that helpdesk people don't need admin rights on their own PCs.

This is a two year old thread, and there appears to have been no movement or action from Pulseway in that time.

Happy to have people need to login as admin when there is an update, but Pulseway should not be demanding admin access just to run a dashboard - that is a security vulnerability.

Thanks

Eric

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dpbklyn
      Hello and Thank you in advance.
      What is the best way to setup monitoring on an agent and then push that agent out to all desktops?  Would doing an EXPORT/IMPORT on Group Policies accomplish this? 
      Thank you,
      dp
    • By kasey.tomasek
      I've noticed lately that when I have a remote session live on a machine, my local keyboard input is not being accepted in items such as Notepad, Chrome, Outlook, etc. This seems fairly system wide and I'm not always able to replicate the problem. This is likely something to do with the keyboard forwarding method, but I can't isolate this myself. Also, this does occur on several different machines - not one workstation in particular. As soon as I close the remote session, the keyboard functions normally in my local Windows 10 environments.
      Good luck with this one - it seems very transient.
    • By Quenten Grasso
      Hey Guys,
      It would be great if we had some integration with https://chocolatey.org for windows package management, its basically like apt-get or yum for windows which seems a lot better IMHO then ninite type solutions. 
      Having its own tab under group policy for example to install selected apps across multiple machines and keep them updated within patch windows for example. This would be a huge benefit for Pulseway if done well.
      https://chocolatey.org/about
      https://chocolatey.org/pricing at only $3/year per machine its pretty competitive pricing.
      Cheers,
      Quenten
    • By Quenten Grasso
      Hey Fellow PW users,
      I've created a script which allows the system to change its name to %computername%-Current logged on username, which makes life a little easier when trying to remote to their computers on the remote control tool/Webapp.
      To get started, create your script in the script editor, in my example,
      Name: Update Computer Name with Logged on Username
      Windows/Powershell Code: 
      $pwqusers = quser | Select-Object -skip 1 $pwquserfmt = $pwqusers.substring(1,22).Trim() -join "," Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\" -Name ComputerName -Value "$env:computername-$pwquserfmt" Click Save.
      Next we create at new task,
      Name: Update Computer Name with Logged on Username
      Current Scope -> Windows Workstations
      Enable Scheduling -> (I've set it to run once a day) Every weekday (Monday to Friday), starting on 12 August 2018 at 09:00 (Australia/Brisbane)
      Scripts tab, Select/add your new script you just created and once that's done click save.
      You can now run the task on demand as well which will update all of the PC's in your windows workstations scope to Computer Name-Logged on usernames
      This works for RDSH hosts as well however it could get a bit of out hand if you have 5-10+ users logged in so I probably wouldn't recommend it to be used on servers.
      I Hope this helps you somehow, these scripts/suggestions come with no warranty and I bear no responsibility if this breaks anything, use at your own risk etc..etc..
      Cheers,
      Quenten
    • By Dennis Cox
      My predecessor had created a script that would install a desktop link to our help desk. We no longer use this solution and I want to have the shortcut removed from every device. I can't seem to find a script to do this. I hope someone could help.

This is the script that he had used:
      @echo off
      md C:\icon
      copy "\\edmws001\image\Nortrux_Helpdesk_icon.ico" "c:\icon"
      icacls "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk" /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:F
      icacls "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk" /inheritance:r /grant Users:F
      icacls "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk" /inheritance:r /grant INTERACTIVE:F
      attrib -R  "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk"
      copy "\\edmws001\image\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk" "C:\Users\Public\Desktop"
      attrib +R  "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk"
      icacls "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk" /inheritance:r /grant Users:R
      icacls "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk" /inheritance:r /grant Administrators:R
      icacls "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk" /inheritance:r /grant INTERACTIVE:R
      icacls "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Nortrux IT Help Desk.lnk" /inheritance:r /grant SYSTEM:F