Wake on WAN

Tom

I have two PCs on my local network,

1x Windows 10 home - wakes via 4G cellular network and local LAN

1x Windows 10 Pro - only wakes on local LAN

I've tried forwarding port 9, checked that the NIC settings are correct (magic packet etc...), made sure the drivers were up to date, disabled fast boot (though it is enabled on the one that works) and checked the Pulseway settings (same for both PCs). I can't work out why one wakes and the other doesn't. The both have the same type of NIC. Any help?

• Staff

Hi Tom,

The drivers that are bundled with Windows 10 have known issues with WOL.

Please install the NIC drivers from the manufacturer's support site.

Thanks 

Chris

Hi Paul,

Yes I can wake the device when on the same network, so no problem with BIOS settings. It has to be something to do with my router.

What I can't work out is why one PC is reachable through my router (with or without port forwarding) but not the other (with or without port forwarding). They should both see the broadcast magic packet. I'm going to break out wireshark and a dumb hub and do a bit of network sniffing to see if that sheds any light on the matter. Only problem is I don't have a plug pack (power supply) for the old dumb repeater hub so it's on hold until I get time to buy one.

• Administrators

Hi Tom,

We do some trickery there if you have another online agent in the same group with the system you're trying to wake and both have the same WAN IP address by sending a command to the online system to broadcast the WOL magic packet in the local network. Is this the case in your situation?

-Paul

On 09/06/2016 at 0:39 AM, Chris said:

Hi Tom,

Can you wake the system from the same network with a WOL sender tool?

Thanks 

Chris

Yes both machines can be woken from within the same network.