Configuring to monitor Web Services

Aaron Blakeley

• Staff

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the Pulseway community, there are some examples on the sample configuration files, did you give them a go? Also depending on the Ubuntu version you may have different INIT daemons which is crucial to know how the services are working on your system.

Chris

Full disclosure. I am not very intimate with the inner working of our webserver. I do see that I want to monitor apache, mysql, and our different versions of PHP. What I am unsure of is if those are considered deamons or services, what kind of services they might be and if I need to point the paths to the bins(wherever they are) or if I just point the path to the general location? Any help will be appreciated. 

To answer your question: I did read over the examples but the questions I listed above came up and after some serious googling was unable to find correct answers. 

• Staff

Hi Aaron,

The configuration of the services depends on the operating system and the init daemon (UPSTART, SYSVINIT or SYSTEMD). May I know what operating system you're using and what init daemon you have installed?

Chris

• 2 months later...

This is what I use to monitor NGINX on Debian/Ubuntu

<Service Name="nginx" DisplayName="NGINX Daemon" IsDaemon="true" DaemonType="SYSVINIT" Path="" StartParameters="" CanBeStopped="false" Enabled="true"/>

The trick was to change the Daemon Type to SYSVINIT - then Pulseway would detect the service and work with it.  I believe Apache will work the same way but the name would need to be Apache2 or HTTPD - not sure which as I have not used Apache in ages...

Hope this helps.