chardy

SNMP to monitor network devices

Hi,

We have a network set up with security cameras and we'd like to use Pulseway to monitor the status of the cameras.  We thought about using the ping tool but we are worried ping a large number of devices every 5 seconds could have negative effects on the network and/or switch the devices are on.

Does anyone know of a way to use SNMP for this?  I was going through the set up but couldnt figure out which OID to use.

We are using the enterprise edition. 

Thanks,

~ Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Pulseway community. You'll need to download the MIB files form the device manufacturer's website then import them into a SNMP Browser (I recommend this one), navigate through the objects and see which variables you want to monitor. Once you've figured out which variables you'd like to monitor just copy and paste the OIDs into Pulseway and then configure the notification rules to notify you when those values exceed the normal values.

-Paul

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ARoode
      Does anyone have an update script for making and removing snapshots in VMware?
      I would like to use it together with Windows update scripts to search and install updates.
    • By EricS
      I've seen some old posts about this and solutions in older versions that have since been removed. However, I don't see the settings or options in this iteration as of today.
      We monitor some generic services, ie Apache, and other proprietary services that are critical to our program running. At times they hiccup or run into an issue where they fail to start or stop. At this point we would want Pulseway to not only send a notification but also attempt to restart the service(s).
      Any way to accomplish this or any roadmap on getting that feature rolled in?
    • By Your PCMD
      I am curious to know why 3rd party patch mgmt. is an additional paid feature. Before I would get notified for like Adobe Reader needed an update, know I have to pay additional to get this notification?
      What else within the features we already get will be removed to a "module" that we have to pay additional for? I only oversee around 60 endpoints, so I am not a big player, but there are issues now that are making me look and trial other RMM solutions. 
      Today I logged into my dash-panel as I do everyday M-F only to be greeted with 53 notifications for critical updates for Windows. Going into to the systems one by one, I quickly realized that something is not right. When viewing the systems, it clearly stated there were updates for Windows needed, but going to the actual systems available updates, I see "No updates found". Is Windows itself considered a 3rd party now?
      While writing this:
      20 May 2019 08:45
      1 critical update is available on computer 'REDACTED' in group 'REDACTED - Workstations'.   Available Updates
      No Updates Found
      Last Checked: 20 May 2019 08:48    
    • By mitch
      I have used the rest api Publish and Notify to make a system in Pulseway.
      When I run the api the system will be updated and there will be notifications of the devices I monitor. (if their are up or down)
      But if I run the script I get alle the notifications that I don't want because the state isn't change of the devices.
      Is there a php script that makes the Pulseway Notifiy api remember the state of the last send notification so there will only be send a notification if the state is change since the last send notification?
      Kind regards,
      Mitch