chardy

SNMP to monitor network devices

Hi,

We have a network set up with security cameras and we'd like to use Pulseway to monitor the status of the cameras.  We thought about using the ping tool but we are worried ping a large number of devices every 5 seconds could have negative effects on the network and/or switch the devices are on.

Does anyone know of a way to use SNMP for this?  I was going through the set up but couldnt figure out which OID to use.

We are using the enterprise edition. 

Thanks,

~ Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Pulseway community. You'll need to download the MIB files form the device manufacturer's website then import them into a SNMP Browser (I recommend this one), navigate through the objects and see which variables you want to monitor. Once you've figured out which variables you'd like to monitor just copy and paste the OIDs into Pulseway and then configure the notification rules to notify you when those values exceed the normal values.

-Paul

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Francis
      Hi,
      I think it misses the ability to monitor bandwidth on servers and users computers. It would be nice to have a history of several weeks and the services used.
    • By Finzsoft
      I am trying to upgrade some software using PowerShell and I am not sure if my parameters are correctly formatted .  See highlighted text

# Silent Install Secure Secure Authentication
      # http://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/esa/windows/v2/2.7.32.0/esa_nt64_enu.msi
      # Path for the workdir
      $workdir = "c:\scripts\"
      # Check if work directory exists if not create it
      If (Test-Path -Path $workdir -PathType Container)
      { Write-Host "$workdir already exists" -ForegroundColor Red}
      ELSE
      { New-Item -Path $workdir  -ItemType directory }
      # Download the installer
      $source = "http://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/esa/windows/v2/2.7.32.0/esa_nt64_enu.msi"
      $destination = "$workdir\esa_nt64_enu_v2.msi"
      # Check if Invoke-Webrequest exists otherwise execute WebClient
      if (Get-Command 'Invoke-Webrequest')
      {
           Invoke-WebRequest $source -OutFile $destination
      }
      else
      {
          $WebClient = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
          $webclient.DownloadFile($source, $destination)
      }
      Invoke-WebRequest $source -OutFile $destination
      # Start the installation
      msiexec.exe /i "$workdir\esa_nt64_enu_v2.msi" ADDLOCAL="Credential_Provider" /qb /L*v "c:\esa_install_log.txt"
      # Wait XX Seconds for the installation to finish
      Start-Sleep -s 35
      # Remove the installer
      rm -Force $workdir\esa_nt64*
    • By Basil62
      Hello and good day. Is there any way for Pulseway to notify me when the monitored system reaches a specific % threshold of RAM or CPU usage?
    • By Wannes Vande Wiele
      Hello!

Recently I've been experimenting a bit using scripts that contain variables that the user should enter.
      For example, a very simple one to shutdown a computer after X-amount of time: (example use-case:  I download large files during the night, so it doesn't count towards my ISP data-usage)

@echo off
      set /p time=Enter time in seconds:
      shutdown /s /t %time%
      timeout /t 3 /NOBREAK
      exit

however, upon executing said script, the app doesn't request for the variable to be filled out. (I guess it's not made for such uses)
      Obviously, i can manually enter the command using CMD, but i don't want to be typing the command every time i need it. (you can call me lazy :p)

Any ideas how to do this correctly?
    • By dpbklyn
      Is there a way to kick off an automated task based on a notification or alert.  For Example, if we get a notification of a disk getting full, I would want the automation to run: 
      <Open a ticket>--> <add predetermined note>--> <add 15 minutes>--><run task to clean drive>--><send notification that task has completed>--><close ticket>
      Is this possible now, or should this be a feature request?
      Thank you,
      dp