Spotty Windows Update notifications

fthl

Hi there,

in the last few ... weeks? months?

A growing number of monitored Windows systems running 2008R2/2012R2 do not send out WIndows Update notifications via pulseway anymore.

This is starting to be a real issue since it is for some reason affecting more and more systems over timne and I cannot fin anything common on those or any reasons.

The clients all have update notifications enabled, and when opening the Windows Update on the machines they do announce important/critical updates awaiting installation.

I am running out of ways to look for the reason and a fix here, and would appreciate any help.

Best regards

• Staff

Please open the Pulseway Manager on one of these remote system and enable the Diagnostic Logging under the Settings -> Diagnostics. After you've enabled the diagnostic logging, stop the Pulseway service, wait for 15 seconds and then start it. Then delete all notifications from this system and leave it running for 30 minutes and then if you do not receive this notification, send us on support@pulseway.com the trace.log file from the Pulseway's installation folder so we can investigate the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

thanks already.

Today I finally managed to find one of those machines before one of my colleagues updated them anyway and started the trace-log as above. Trace gave me the following line:

08.02.2018, 13:12:48.037: [Notification Manager] Unable to send notification with identifier 'WINDOWS_UPDATES_AVAILABLE', the non-repeating notification already exist.

But no notifications are there. (Or at least visible).

Some months ago we had a database crash on our pulseway server. At the time it seemed we had gotten it running again, might it be that something could be causing the issue there?

Addendum:
I looked into the database on the pulseway server and

select * from "Notifications" where computerIdentifier='f5456he55-aec8-462e-9331-5f1f55dfbd3b' and notificationIdentifier='WINDOWS_UPDATES_AVAILABLE';

returns one entry, interestingly nearly exactly a year old.

Edited by fthl

Solved it myself after all.

We have 1 'main' account with the sole purpose of sharing systems to associated user accounts.

Thus we barely log in with that one anywhere.

Turns out there were some hundred unread notifications in there that did not show up anywhere else. Once I deleted them the problematic systems "woke up".