notification when file size exceeds limit

turgel

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to get a notification if a file exceeds a certain file size.

In my case I want to get an alert when a file or a folder exceeds 5 GB. Is that possible?

I only found an option to either monitor the whole harddisk or get an alert when a file changes in size

• Staff

Hi,

You can get the file/folder size of a file with powershell (check this link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff730945.aspx), if the condition matches then you can send a notification with this plugin: http://forum.pulseway.com/topic/962-notification-bridge and then create a scheduled task that will run the script every minute or so.

Chris

Hi everyone,

After playing around with the powershell i wrote a small script which does the following:

1. get the size of a certain folder 

2. take this result and compare it with a set limit (in this case 7500 Megabytes)

3. if this limit is exceeded it starts the pulseway notifcation bridge and sends out the notification.

This is very useful to me, i use it to monitor the sql database size of vmware vcenter.

I will post it here, hopefully it will help someone else:

###########################################################

$h = 7500
$colItems = (Get-ChildItem "C:\THISFOLDER" | Measure-Object -property length -sum)
"{0:N2}" -f ($colItems.sum / 1MB) + " MB"

If ($colItems.sum / 1MB -gt $h )

invoke-item "C:\YOURPULSEWAYFOLDER\NOT.lnk"

}

##################################################################

note: I made a link to the notifcationbridge.exe (NOT.lnk) to give to correct commands, writing it out directly in the powershell didn't work for some reason.

• Staff

Hi,

Thank you for posting your script. Here is how you can start a process with arguments from powershell:

$plugin = "C:\Users\paul\Documents\notification-bridge-plugin\Release\NotificationBridge.exe"
&$plugin -p 1 -t "test"

Note: The "NotificationBridge.exe" doesn't need to be in the same directory as Pulseway, neither the .dll file.

Chris