Install without desktop shortcut?

RobertBasil

• Staff

Hi @RobertBasil,

Yes, you have the option to download the customized installer from the Pulseway WebApp -> Onboarding -> Downloads. And then you you can use it to install the Pulseway agents and once its done, then we have the option to use the Powershell to delete the shortcuts from the desktop:

#Hide _Pulseway_From-Add_and _Remove_programms_and_delete_shortcuts

$result = gwmi win32_product -filter "Name LIKE 'Pulseway'" | select IdentifyingNumber;
[string] $a = $result.identifyingNumber;
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\$a" -Name "SystemComponent" -Value 1 -Type DWord
Remove-Item 'C:\Users\*\Desktop\Pulseway Manager.lnk'
Remove-Item 'C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Pulseway Manager.lnk'

I hope this helps.

I'm aware of how to remove desktop shortcuts using powershell (and many other languages). I was hoping to have the option to NOT have the desktop shortcut installed in the first place. Other RMM's we use do this so I was hoping Pulseway could do it as well without any extra scripting. Having to use a script only causes extra work for those systems who receive an automated install using the probe feature.

Having the icon on end users desktops not only adds unnecessary clutter but confuses end users who do not know what it is or what it is used for as they have no idea what or who Pulseway is.

Edited by RobertBasil

Yes, I'm aware that the msi can be edited (per my original post). Was just surprised that it's not an option to install the agent and not have a desktop or start menu icon without manual intervention. I'm used to having this option in other RMM software.

Maybe something to think about adding in the future?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @RobertBasil and @AC_Martin_J...

I created a feature request for this a few months back.

I don't know if it will help but it certainly wouldn't hurt if you added a comment to that thread about how you would also like to have this ability. Because it's easy to work around, I think it's less likely to be mentioned here (I didn't mention it until after I had edited installers for 3 subsequent versions) but I'm guessing there are many more Pulseway users who would like to have this ability than there are Pulseway users posting about it in these forums.