Jump to content
karbonphyber

Hardware Assets management

Recommended Posts

Hi all

 

Looking to have some guidance on the usage of Hardware Assets in PSA Pulseway.

1) Do you guys add in every single asset or just the assets tracked by the finance dept? Every single asset includes kensington locks, keyboards, power cables...

1A) Should it be Single Asset? Would you duplicate the record for each asset? e.g. If i had 5 x kensington locks. What do i do there (best practice) ?

2) How do we check-out assets to the corresponding Contact? Assuming we want to assign a particular lock to a particular contact/person?

 

Thanks all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question. Here is what we used to do with other helpdesk(s) we used.

- We only inventoried items of value we wanted to track.  If you want to trace all cable locks, keyboards, etc, then you need to inventory them. (We found this a lot of work as we did each item, not groups, and tagged them.)

- One of the other programs we used had a check out of items for inventory so we knew who had the product, when it was taken and when we expected it back.  I do not see that option in Pulseway.

- The second help desk we moved to, also did not have this option.  SO, what we did was start a ticket, assigned it to the user taking the product, and itemized everything (asset tags) in the ticket. We used the DUE date as the expected return date.  We also started a custom ticket type "Loaner Equipment".  Resolve the ticket when items are returned.

Sorry, probably not the best, but that's what we used to do.  (We don't manage our clients loaner equipment any more.)

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Inventory and Asset management has been the topic of my work within setting up PSA over the past week or two. Here is how I am handling these cases:

As of now, every item that is in stock or has the potential to be used in a ticket or project, or even outright sold to a client goes into inventory and is tracked. You can find the import tool I made at https://forum.pulseway.com/topic/2342-c-inventory-product-import-tool-from-excel/

Once an item is going to be used in a ticket/project, it is added as a charge on that ticket/project. After the charge is added, you need to click edit on the new charge to work with it further (not entirely intuitive/smooth):

2884be6f948d1a932d8f9a3ae0e5aadb.png

After you open that up, you want to click deliver in the bottom left to take it out of your inventory stock at which point you have the option to make it into an asset. At the moment, we are only doing this for things like Desktops, Servers, Laptops, Routers, Switches, etc. For things like cables or external hard drives, I don't believe it is necessary to do this. With the hardware assets mentioned, you have the ability to track IP information/configuration, login credentials and other important information through the use of custom fields along with the default ones. If you aren't tracking important information on such as a keyboard or cable, which I don't believe you will, it isn't necessary to make an asset.

fb14afc6dbae1ac13021a7ebac9ee3d7.png

After you make an asset, you can see it populate in the charges menu as well as in your hardware assets section:

457ac321d1ea178affe604fe1c4b3075.png

79a5c8da8ff54880a46aa8e043826011.png

At which point you can attach it to the account (client) you installed it at.

Edited by MaxITGarrett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 4:11 AM, Gary Haberl said:

Good question. Here is what we used to do with other helpdesk(s) we used.

- We only inventoried items of value we wanted to track.  If you want to trace all cable locks, keyboards, etc, then you need to inventory them. (We found this a lot of work as we did each item, not groups, and tagged them.)

- One of the other programs we used had a check out of items for inventory so we knew who had the product, when it was taken and when we expected it back.  I do not see that option in Pulseway.

- The second help desk we moved to, also did not have this option.  SO, what we did was start a ticket, assigned it to the user taking the product, and itemized everything (asset tags) in the ticket. We used the DUE date as the expected return date.  We also started a custom ticket type "Loaner Equipment".  Resolve the ticket when items are returned.

Sorry, probably not the best, but that's what we used to do.  (We don't manage our clients loaner equipment any more.)

Gary

Thank you for that Gary. Reckon you guys came up with an awesome idea, with what you were given.

The ticket method does look like a possibility for me, if check-out isn't on the roadmap.

Kinda wouldn't like to lose inventory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 10:51 PM, MaxITGarrett said:

Inventory and Asset management has been the topic of my work within setting up PSA over the past week or two. Here is how I am handling these cases:

As of now, every item that is in stock or has the potential to be used in a ticket or project, or even outright sold to a client goes into inventory and is tracked. You can find the import tool I made at https://forum.pulseway.com/topic/2342-c-inventory-product-import-tool-from-excel/

Once an item is going to be used in a ticket/project, it is added as a charge on that ticket/project. After the charge is added, you need to click edit on the new charge to work with it further (not entirely intuitive/smooth):

2884be6f948d1a932d8f9a3ae0e5aadb.png

After you open that up, you want to click deliver in the bottom left to take it out of your inventory stock at which point you have the option to make it into an asset. At the moment, we are only doing this for things like Desktops, Servers, Laptops, Routers, Switches, etc. For things like cables or external hard drives, I don't believe it is necessary to do this. With the hardware assets mentioned, you have the ability to track IP information/configuration, login credentials and other important information through the use of custom fields along with the default ones. If you aren't tracking important information on such as a keyboard or cable, which I don't believe you will, it isn't necessary to make an asset.

fb14afc6dbae1ac13021a7ebac9ee3d7.png

After you make an asset, you can see it populate in the charges menu as well as in your hardware assets section:

457ac321d1ea178affe604fe1c4b3075.png

79a5c8da8ff54880a46aa8e043826011.png

At which point you can attach it to the account (client) you installed it at.

Hi Max, this is wicked.

One of the features I wasn't too sure of was the Inventory.

It involves purchasing, which we do but then I sorta got lost partway as to how to do it, within this specific application.

As i'm using Pulseway as internal RMM , there's really only 1 client. Therefore, assigning assets to a particular person (Could i use Contact?) wasn't something that came to mind/looked available.

Sweet! I'm gonna give both methods a try.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, karbonphyber said:

Hi Max, this is wicked.

One of the features I wasn't too sure of was the Inventory.

It involves purchasing, which we do but then I sorta got lost partway as to how to do it, within this specific application.

As i'm using Pulseway as internal RMM , there's really only 1 client. Therefore, assigning assets to a particular person (Could i use Contact?) wasn't something that came to mind/looked available.

Sweet! I'm gonna give both methods a try.

 

Yes, you can have 1 account for the client and many contacts for each person. You can assign things to accounts and then assign it to a corresponding contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×