NAS plugin

yoc81

Hey,

I have been using PC Monitor for some time now and absolutely love it.

I like how If you have a computer running PC Monitor on the same network allows you to wake up other PC's.

Any chance anyone has the skills and the awesomeness to be able to make a plugin for the ReadyNas Duo that could be used to relay the wake up signal in the same way other PC's running the app do without having to login to the NAS to do it.

Thinking click turn on PC from my phone and because the NAS plugin would be signed in my account would know to send the wake up command on my network all automatically. 

Does this sound possible?

Cheers,

Andrew

• Administrators

Hello yoc81,

Nothing is impossible. Sadly Mobile PC Monitor's cloud API is only supported on .NET platforms which makes it really difficult to write a Ready Nas plugin. I find this idea interesting since I own four Ready Nas Duo devices and would be useful in some situations, however since they run on ARM based linux it makes it impossible to run MSIL code (.NET Framework Generated Binaries).

This might work if:

• Mobile PC Monitor's Cloud API would be converted to a Mono Library thus supporting other platforms OR
  • Mobile PC Monitor's Framework would become open source which is very not likely to happen anytime in my opinion OR
  • Mobile PC Monitor would add support for Ready Nas Duo themselves by creating a Ready Nas Plugin which comunicates with their servers.

There is no easy way out of this. Your best option would be #4, Get a 24/7 computer over there that would be waking up the computer OR Forward the wake up on lan port in your router to a device that supports it and has PCM installed so that you can power on the intermediary computer, power on target computer then power off the intermediary computer.

Hope that makes sense,

Paul.

Get a 24/7 computer over there that would be waking up the computer

Although not directly related, I was wondering if perhaps instead of having a 24/7 computer with PC Monitor installed a mobile device on the local network with the PC Monitor app running could be used to wake up other clients (current network setup is a nightmare so looking for alternate methods.)

This would at least allow me to have a low power solution to control machines without the need for forwarding ports etc. Just drop a cheap phone next to an AP plugged in and problem solved.

• Administrators

It would be recommended that you forward the wol port on a computer. This way you power-on when you need a wol gateway. Also, if you're interested in hacking a device that can do this, you can use a Raspberry Pi with PC monitor installed on it, low power and cheap solution.

• Administrators

PCMonitor for Windows does not support ARM devices thus no plugins, but you can try installing PCMonitor for linux that run on java vm which supports ARM.

I thought that PC monitor was not supported on ARM?