Bug(?): <MemoryLow> Sends Notification on Low Free Memory Instead of Low Available Memory

BromTeque

My headless Ubuntu 22.04 (x86_64) machine, running agent 9.3, recently sent me a "Low Memory" notification. This was unexpected as I don't have any memory-intensive processes running on the machine currently. Since this was the first time I received such a notification, I decided to investigate the matter to understand what could have triggered it.

The notification:

firefox_8Qpkx3j4Iv.thumb.png.6c3e2547d61857250303f2d30ac43c37.png

I ran "free -h" to get a clearer picture of the memory usage. Here's the output:

$ free -h
               total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            62Gi       1.2Gi       3.9Gi       832Mi        57Gi        60Gi
Swap:          8.0Gi          0B       8.0Gi

Next, I checked the relevant part of my config.xml file:

<!--Send a notification when the available memory is below a certain percentage (between 10 and 90) for a number of minutes (between 1 and 120)-->
<MemoryLow Priority="1" Percentage="10" Minutes="1" Enabled="true"/>

Based on the comment in the config.xml file, I'm led to believe that the "<MemoryLow>" tag is intended to trigger based on the available memory. However, I'm uncertain if this is the case, and believe the notification was triggered due to low "free" memory. As seen from the "free -h" output.

So my question is, is "<MemoryLow>" supposed to trigger based on "free" memory or "available" memory? I'd argue that it would be more important to report on "available" memory rather than "free" memory if it is the latter.

I can't find much information on the config.xml file. If anyone can point me towards documentation or other relevant information, would it be greatly appreciated.

WindowsTerminal_nY8EJKtbtA.png

WindowsTerminal_SvS9y3HO9y.png

I'm having the same issue. This started yesterday, and now nearly all of my Linux boxes are reporting low available memory false positives.

Someone changed something over there and didn't understand how Linux reports available memory.

Screenshot from 2023-08-01 14-35-17.png

Screenshot from 2023-08-01 14-35-38.png

• 3 weeks later...