Starting programs from terminal

Addiosamigo

• Administrators

I use the terminal to diagnose file changes, execute batch processes that collect, archive and move some recorded sessions, disconnect a locked Remote Desktop session, and many more. You are looking only at the limitation right now, try thinking a bit for uses and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Basically anything batch, vbs script, console applications will work.

• 8 months later...

I've tried using "Terminal" to execute program from my mobile (iPhone) to my laptop (XP). The program doesn't start in desktop but when you check "Task Manager" it is already running in "Processes" tab. Any idea what is happening here?

• Administrators

Yes. You cannot have a windows service interact with a user's sessions. Ask yourself the following questions:

• On what user session the service should start the application?
  • What if there are multiple user's logged in?
  • Does a windows service really need to know about a user, afterall it's a service not an application.

You want to create a scheduled task that is set to impersonate a user and start an application. You will also want to set it's schedule to manual, then invoke it from the mobile app.

Good luck.