Raspberry Pi testing before rollout to Ubuntu 12

wchivers

I am using my personal Raspberry Pi B+ to test Pulseway Linux before we try on live Ubuntu 12 servers. I have been able to get everything working except the online/offline/shutdown alerts.

Here is a copy of my current config section. I added Priority="0" to WhenOffline hoping I would get a notification, but the icon still only changes to grey on the Android app. There is also no notifications for OnShutdown or when it comes back OnLine.

<!--Send a notification when the computer is offline-->
        <WhenOffLine Priority="0" Enabled="true"/>
        <!--Send a notification when the computer is online-->
        <OnOnline Priority="2" Enabled="true"/>
        <!--Send a notification when the computer is shutting down-->
        <OnShutdown Priority="0" Enabled="true"/>

Thanks,

Walt

• Staff

Hi Walt,

Welcome to the Pulseway community! The offline notification is sent by the server after approximately 10 minutes of agent inactivity and the online notification is sent when the service starts. If you enable the offline notification and you get the offline notification sent to you (so the server acknowledges that the system was indeed offline and it wasn't a minor outage) then the system gets back online you will receive a "system is back online" notification.

In regards to the shutdown notification, some operating systems send the shutdown signal to the processes after the network driver is stopped which prevents Pulseway from being able to notify you of this event.

Chris

Just to test, I unplugged the ethernet cable so your Pulseway system would see it as officially offline. Kept it that way for the last 95 hours without any notifications. The app did show as offline though. Looks like an issue with the notification. I am going to play with the notification settings and see if I can get it to work. Might have to try an Ubuntu image next.

We are getting notifications when I kill NTPD, and notifications when it comes back online. But nothing when it is offline. Seems to be the final stumbling block.

I keep adding and deleting the Priority setting for WhenOffLine but that doesn´t seem to change anything. By default, Priority is not present for WhenOffLine. Here is a copy of the notifications again.

<Notifications>
        <!--Send a notification when the computer is offline-->
        <WhenOffLine Priority="0" Enabled="true"/>
        <!--Send a notification when the computer is online-->
        <OnOnline Priority="2" Enabled="true"/>
        <!--Send a notification when the computer is shutting down-->
        <OnShutdown Priority="1" Enabled="true"/>
        <!--Send a notification when a user logs in-->
        <UserLogsIn Priority="2" Enabled="false"/>
        <!--Send a notification when a user logs out-->
        <UserLogsOut Priority="3" Enabled="false"/>
        <!--Send a notification when the available memory is below a certain percentage (between 10 and 90)-->
        <MemoryLow Priority="1" Percentage="10" Enabled="true"/>
        <!--Send a notification when the CPU usage is above a certain percentage (between 10 and 90) for a number of minutes (between 1 and 120)-->
        <HighCpuUsage Priority="1" Percentage="90" Minutes="5" Enabled="false"/>
        <!--Send a notification when the CPU usage is below a certain percentage (between 10 and 90) for a number of minutes (between 1 and 120)-->
        <LowCpuUsage Priority="2" Percentage="10" Minutes="5" Enabled="false"/>
        <!--Send a notification when a port is closed for a number of minutes (between 1 and 120)-->
        <PortClosed Priority="1" Minutes="1" Enabled="false"/>
        <!--Send a notification when a service has stopped for a number of minutes (between 1 and 120)-->
        <ServiceStopped Priority="1" Minutes="1" Enabled="true"/>

• Staff

Hi,

Start the Pulseway service, leave it on for a minute and then stop the Pulseway service. Wait 10-15 minutes and you should be getting an offline notification if the system is not in the maintenance mode.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...