Asset Info for Linux Agents

BartB

I noticed that there is no Asset info section for Linux agents. Can this be added? I know that the Dev team relies on OS built-in commands to gather hardware and BIOS info for this section, so I wanted to offer some insight on how to gather hardware and BIOS info in Linux using built-in commands.

Here is a gist outlining the basic commands for your Dev team reference:

https://gist.github.com/flatlinebb/87bba149eed8ce91b8553c20dfae027d

For those that do not want to click on a link to an external website, here is a snippet:

How to view the system specs in linux
Open terminal and type sudo dmidecode --type. 
Don't click Enter yet! after --type, you can write bios or system, etc. to view the related specs. 
For example: sudo dmidecode --type bios will display the BIOS specs.

Complete list of "What can I write after --type" (common parameters are in bold):

Memory
BIOS
System
Base Board
Chassis
Processor

lshw: Will give you a very comprehensive list of hardware and settings.
lspci: Will show you most of your hardware in a nice quick way. 
  It has varying levels of verbosity so you can get more information out of it with -v and -vv flags if you want it.
lscpu: List available cpus and their caracteristics.

If you ever need to get your hard drive’s model and serial number without physically looking at it, 
you can do so with the hdparm command line utility. 
This is especially useful if a manufacturer requires the serial number for an RMA or any other servicing needs.

In this example, we are retrieving the model and serial number of the system’s first drive that is labeled /dev/sda:

$ hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i number
Model Number: WDC WD5000AAKX-00ERMA0
Serial Number: WD-WMC2E0607821

If you also want to see the size of all the disks in a system, you can easily view the size with:

$ fdisk -l | grep -i ^Disk
Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes

I hope this helps getting the ball rolling on adding Asset Info to Linux agents.

• Staff

Hi @BartB,

Thank you for your suggestion, we will consider the possibility to add this functionality into the future release. As per current designe advanced reporting support only Windows systems and in order to get data from MAC and Linux systems you will need to generate Legacy reports.