Impersonation for Backup Monitoring

Justin Wright

Hello,

I am just trying to get this setup to monitor the backups on a 2012 R2 server.  I see this article but I have some confusion on what needs done.

How to enable and configure the Windows Server Backup monitoring | Pulseway Help Center (intercom.help)

User in “Backup Operators” or “Administrators” user group configured in Pulseway Manager at PowerShell impersonation.

Note: PowerShell Impersonation Setup Instructions are covered at Runtime Configuration.

Not sure what it means by setup instructions are covered at runtime.  I am currently using the domain admin account for settings things up.  

I am not sure on the "configured in Pulseway Manager at PowerShell impersonation" either.

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Hi @Justin Wright

Thanks for reaching out!

When you run a PowerShell script using Pulseway it runs in session zero or as system privilege

https://intercom.help/pulseway/en/articles/1514837-how-to-configure-the-runtime-settings-for-the-pulseway-manager

Make sure you enter Admin details and configure one machine manually then get the encrypted values from the registry and run it using Pulseway automation on other machines which will help you configure PowerShell impersonation remotely.

You need to copy the value for the following registry keys and then use them in the following script:

HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\PowerShellUserImpersonation
HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\PowerShellUserImpersonationDomain
HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\PowerShellUserImpersonationPassword
HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\PowerShellUserImpersonationPasswordCtrl
HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\PowerShellUserImpersonationUsername

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor" -Name "PowerShellUserImpersonation" -Value "value here"

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor" -Name "PowerShellUserImpersonationDomain" -Value "value here"

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor" -Name "PowerShellUserImpersonationPassword" -Value "value here"

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor" -Name "PowerShellUserImpersonationPasswordCtrl" -Value "value here"

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor" -Name "PowerShellUserImpersonationUsername" -Value "value here"

I Hope this helps and if you need anything else please let me know!

All the best, 
Stefan