3rd Party Application Patching

Donald Jackson

Regarding Patching 3rd Party Application:

1st, can a rule be applied a single server in a group of other servers? Example, I have 20 servers in a group and only 1 has a specific application installed, I'd like to choose "Install and keep up to date", but that option will Install and keep up to date the application on all 20, so can a rule be applied to only one of many?

2nd, when rules for 3rd Party Applications are applied, how is the patching schedule determined, I start my patching manually, so my question is, if I have an election for "VMware Tools" to install and keep up to date, does that happen automatically or only when I start the update?

Thank you,

Donald 

• Administrators

Hi @Donald Jackson

Apologies that it has taken me a while to get back to you. So to answer your questions:

1) You can create multiple patch policies, then apply the specific one to an individual system in Patch management -> Agent status -> Hover over the system -> add icon -> apply patch policy. Also, a system can only have one patch policy applied. You can also apply it to an agent group/site/Org. If its assigned this way, then you have to remove the patch policy from group/site/org, then apply it individually on Patch management -> status.

2) Patch policy can be automated to run at a particular date and time, you can also run the patch policy manually. When the patch policy is run manually from Policies or Agent status, Windows updates will be checked and installed, then 3rd party applications install/update. So, if its either manual or automatic patch policy update, the application will be installed. 

I hope this helps but if you ever need any more assistances please let me know!

• 3 weeks later...

StefanMcl,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. So I did apply the policy to the agent, and started it manually, I had several 3rd Party apps selected as "Keep up to date", they weren't touched and some OS updates were not installed.

I ran a Nessus scan of the assets to confirm what was installed [or not] and I also downloaded report from Pulseway to see what patches\updates were or were not installed but that report very limited in context and detail.

Regarding the 3rd party apps, they are on the list, examples, Notepad++ and Curl, is there any reason why this would happen?

• Administrators

Hi @Donald Jackson

Thanks for your reply, I've looked into this and I'm going to raise a support ticket for you as the issues you are facing 100% need further exploration. If you could pass me your Pulseway email ID I can raise a ticket on your behalf, also support will most likely ask for screenshots so if you could also share a screenshot of the OS updates/versions that are not updated as well a screenshot of the the differences from both our Patch Report and the report from your end that would be amazing. 

Thanks, 
Stefan 

StefanMcl,

Thank, my email is donald.jackson@hawkinsinc.com. I also opened a support request online Friday [56592 [Request received] [IMPORTANT] Website Support Request], basically I was told to go and read an article. So I see that a newer version of Pulseway is available [I've signed up for the webinar], I'm looking forward to using that. Question, does our license cover 3rd Party Patching? Finally, to be clear, I have setup a Policy and assigned it to specific agents for testing. I have created some Global Rules, but I have not assigned them as yet.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Donald

Pulseway License Screenshot 2023-10-16 105730.png

Edited by Donald Jackson

• Administrators

Hi @Donald Jackson

I just raised you ticket there, and in regard to you question regarding third party patching, if you signed up fro 3PP (3rd Party Patching) for the volume of endpoints that you have then yes it completely covered. Glad that you are excited for Pulseway 9.4 we are too! If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks, 
Stefan 

StefanMcl,

I conducted a test last night and np 3rd Party Apps were patched. In my previous message I sent a screenshot of our current license, it says expired, but we just purchased licenses for 3PP?

According to your article for 3PP we need to whitelist the following:
smpm.pulseway.com
smpm-custom.pulseway.com

Are these IP's associated at all with Pulseway, because are blocking traffic to Amazon over port 443 for the following IPs: