Downloading and installing the Arch package fails:

$ sudo pacman -U pulseway_x64.pkg.tar.xz
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) pulseway-4.9.3-1

Total Installed Size:  4.53 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                 [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                                               [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                                    [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                              [#######################################################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
pulseway: /usr/sbin exists in filesystem

Okay, so /usr/sbin exists in the filesystem. This is because of how symlinks are set up in Arch nowadays:

$ ls -l | grep sbin
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     3 Sep 30  2015 sbin -> bin

So I extracted the 'xv' file and move the files to the correct places on the system:

/etc/pulseway/config.xml.sample
/usr/lib/systemd/system/pulseway.service
/usr/sbin/pulseway-update
/usr/sbin/pulsewayd exists
/usr/share/pulseway/LICENSE

Now if I try to start the systemd service:

$ sudo systemctl start pulseway
Job for pulseway.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pulseway.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

$ sudo systemctl status pulseway
â pulseway.service - Remotely Monitor and Control IT Systems
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pulseway.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2016-11-28 00:59:20 EST; 6s ago
  Process: 22747 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pulsewayd (code=exited, status=127)
 Main PID: 22661 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 28 00:59:20 hostname systemd[1]: Starting Remotely Monitor and Control IT Systems...
Nov 28 00:59:20 hostname pulsewayd[22747]: /usr/sbin/pulsewayd: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Nov 28 00:59:20 hostname systemd[1]: pulseway.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=127
Nov 28 00:59:20 hostname systemd[1]: Failed to start Remotely Monitor and Control IT Systems.
Nov 28 00:59:20 hostname systemd[1]: pulseway.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 28 00:59:20 hostname systemd[1]: pulseway.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

So it looks like it's not happy about libssl.so.0.9.8 missing.. and that's because we're now on libssl.so.1.0.0:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/ | grep libssl.so
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       15 Sep 27 09:52 libssl.so -> libssl.so.1.0.0
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root   512672 Sep 27 09:52 libssl.so.1.0.0

I tried symlinking libssl and libcrypto and then the service just fails with no errors. Can we get Pulseway's package updated to work with libssl 1.0.0 please? This is the latest for Arch, and I'd really like to utilize Pulseway on my Arch system.

System details:

$ uname -a
Linux hostname 4.8.10-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 21 11:55:43 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The Arch Linux package still doesn't work. It's 2022 by the way... The reason is that the package as provided by Pulseway does not support systemd. The default init system of Arch Linux is systemd since October 2012... I think it is time to update the Arch Linux package? 

I was able to get the Pulseway package installed by extracting the .txz file and by copying the contents of the folders to the appropriate locations. Next I did copy the unit file from the Debian (.deb) package to the Arch Linux installation. Finally I was able to start Pulseway under Arch Linux with the systemctl command.

I did write a blog post about it (it's in Dutch - but the steps are easy to follow / reproduce): https://ict-diensten.com/site/nl/pages/blog/pulseway-onder-arch-linux

Hope this helps.