Dell OpenManage Server Reporting / Alerting

techtripp

• Administrators

Hello,

You do realize that without actually posting the full script i can't help you at all. On that link you provided I can only see how to configure the script to send emails.

I need to know how it reads data from OMSA log in order to give you an answer on how you can get that kind of monitoring inside PC Monitor.

If you can, PM me with the full script and I will do my best to help you.

Paul.

Hello,

You do realize that without actually posting the full script i can't help you at all. On that link you provided I can only see how to configure the script to send emails.

I need to know how it reads data from OMSA log in order to give you an answer on how you can get that kind of monitoring inside PC Monitor.

If you can, PM me with the full script and I will do my best to help you.

Paul.

Sure thing I will PM you a copy of the script now. 

• Administrators

Hello,

I've looked at the script and it's a fairly easy task however you need to do a similar approach to make it work with MPM:

1. Have a plugin installed into PC Monitor that opens a WCF Service listening for connections on a local port
  2. Have an application that is installed on your machine that takes a string as a parameter and passes that parameter to the WCF Service when invoked.
  3. WCF Service will treat that action as a notification and will forward it to PC Monitor.

Ofcourse the implementation is going to be a lot easier than the explanation looks like but I will make the plugin and service for you.

Just give me 24 hours.

Thank You,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I've finished my plugin that sends notifications to PC Monitor. Using this you can update your script to use the console application included in the plugin so that you receive a PC Monitor notification instead of an email.

As for a plugin for OpenManage itself I cannot help you until you provide more information about the platform. Does it have any public SDK or API you can use to gather the data you want to see on your phone. The file used in the powershell script outputs string data to the standard output and I'd rather not perform string comparison inside my plugins so unless you can properly integrate the plugin on dell's dataset you will have to use your current script to get real-time updates.

Plugin link: http://forum.pulseway.com/topic/962-notification-bridge/

Cheers,

Paul.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hello techtripp,

Since Dell OpenManage is closed proprietary software with no public API available there isn't much I can do here. They only expose a CLI application which is useful for some scripts that help you automate maintenance tasks.

The only possible way would be to parse the output from the CLI application which is a horror story in the world of programming.