After restart, pcmonitor service not starting

5ringssupport

May or may not help, but I have seen this typically after a Windows update and re-start!

Given that tomorrow (as well as Apple Dev announcements etc), is Microsoft Tuesday, I shall observe tomorrow and check event log and PC Monitor log and let you know

Taking a look through the logs and I can see the following logged:

Event ID: 7000

Source: Service Control Manager

The PC Monitor service failed to start due to the following error: 
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Manually starting the service works but isn't always practical.

• Administrators

Please enable the diagnostic logging in the PC Manager settings, restart that computer and after about 1 minute send us the trace.log file that can be found in the PC Monitor installation folder. 

I've been trying to get you the logs but so far its worked fine. I think much like digbyp stated, this it to do with a restart initiated after updates.

Following last night I had 3 or 4 servers not come up correctly that fail to reproduce this issue when a restart is initiated from the server itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything new to report? I just started using the trial here in the office and have the same issue "service does not start after windows update and restart". Here in the office it isn't a problem because I can manually start the service but if I expand and use this on our other sites throughout the state then this might be an issue.

• Administrators

Any event logs, diagnostic outputs, operating system details, anything at all other than "it doesn't start after windows update restart"? I can't reproduce this on my servers: 2003 R2. Standard and 2008 R2 Standard. All update, restart and PC Monitor starts up as expected.