Failed install on two machines

kallakoras

My desktop has been running pc monitor for close to a year now. Suddenly it stopped working.

My laptop is a clean build, never installed pc monitor. Both give me the same error on clicking Validate Account, or any other button inside the manager.

"An error occurred creating the configuration section handler for system.serviceModel/client: Invalid access to memory location. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703E6) (C:\Program Files\
PC Monitor\PCMonitorManager.exe.Config line 10)"

Both machines running win 7 64 bit. One is enterprise, the other is ultimate.

Any ideas?

• Administrators

I believe it's a .NET Framework issue. Please reinstall .NET Framework and tell me if the issue has been resolved. I believe that you are missing System.ServiceModel assembly.

• Administrators

It's identical with mine. This is really odd. Can you make a dir or a tree of files under C:\Program Files\PCMonitor? That HResult error is related to a missing dll file. Also under C:\Windows\Microsoft .NET\Framework 64\v4... exists a file called System.ServiceModel.dll?

• Administrators

I can reproduce this error if .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is not installed. Can you please confirm you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is installed?

If the problem persists I recommend you to run a .NET removal tool and reinstall .NET 3.5 with SP1 and .NET 4.0 .

The error HRESULT: 0x800703E6 can only happen if you have a problem with dll files (missing or corrupt). It's very curious tho that it happed on two of your computers at the same time. Have you updated your operating system at that time?

Paul.

• Administrators

That tool did not give me the option of cleaning 3.5. But I cleaned 4 and re-installed it.

No change.

That tool should have wiped all .NET frameworks but since you are running windows 7, .NET FW 3.5 is critical for system features so that's why it never got removed.

Sadly I'm out of ideas. My only advice now is to try to reinstall the machine, or to install inside a virtual machine to see if you can reproduce the problem. This is very odd to be honest, the error is related to a missing dll file however reinstalling the product should have fixed the problem.

• 6 years later...