Share: Ping notification - network connected devices / kids monitoring

TheBigDogz

I found an interesting use w/ the Ping notification (with help of another in the forum) feature of PC Monitor.  I am currently using it to monitor the "ON/OFF" status of my WDTVs, net connected TVs and android phones in my wifi network.

I basically setup my wifi router to assign monitored devices with specific IP based on individual MAC address.  It is easier to deal w/ IPs than the resolved network name since not all devices can resolve to a name on the network.  After that, you can setup these IPs in the Ping notification entries in PC Monitor and assign them appropriate alias such as "Living Room TV" etc.  You will then get notification when these devices go online and offline.

WIth the same approach, you can setup your kid's phone / laptop the same way and monitor them via pinging.  Most kids these days are tied to their phones so their phone's ON/OFF ping status would tell you whether they are home or not.  

Just thought I would share.

http://forum.pulseway.com/topic/705-notify-when-a-new-device-is-connected-to-the-wifi-network/