grumpa43

Schedule WoL / Shutdown (maybe Restart)

Special greetings.

Have you considered, and is it possible for the PC Monitor App (ie. iPhone) to issue a WoL, or Shutdown command on a user determined and managed schedule? In another life I supported business offices that would have benefited from such a capability ... thank you.

we are actually implementing a timed restart for the next update as part of Windows Updates - Check / Download / Install / Restart (if required). We plan to inform any logged in users that the computer will restart to apply updates and that will imply a timed restart. The same method will be used elsewhere.

I like the idea, too.

A former client was a large general contractor. We'd set up field offices with a server, connected by VPN to the main office. When the job was over, the server would come back and wait a few weeks or months for a new assignment. I always wanted to have the servers "on the bench" wake up once a month, install updates from WSUS & Group Policy, renew computer passwords & certs if needed, and then shut down again.

I don't have that client any more, but this would have been very useful to them. Thought about scripting it but those kinds of projects tend to go by the wayside!

I also MAY have a use for that on a small scale in a new cloud biz I'm starting.

We've added a command that checks for Windows updates, downloads and installs them, sends a message to all logged in users and restarts the computer in 5 minutes (if Windows updates needs to restart to complete the installation of updates). This will work for one computer of for a group.

With this we've added support for timed restarts that should be available in a future release.