Notifications for application event log errors

Chuck

Hello,

I would like to get PC Monitor to notify me for any new Error events added to the Windows Application event log.

If I try to leave the textboxes for Keywords, Event Ids, and Sources empty I get an Error message:

"No keywords, event ID's or sources specified."

Is there a wild card character I can use? I tried entering an asterisk(*) in the keywords textbox but it does not appear to be working.

Thanks

Chuck

• Administrators

It is not recommended to get notified on each Error event because you will end up getting a lot of them one after another, only filling up your notification box. Why not fill the keyword box with some keywords that interest you.

Hint: bluescreen, crash, dump, disk, controller, raid, array

• 2 months later...

A big part of server monitoring is to know when error events are generated (and respond to them). A better solution would be to prevent duplicate events from appearing in the notification box (preventing it from filling up quickly), and having the ability to exclude any innocuous errors from reappearing (i.e. blacklist). How am I supposed to know in advance that there is a "SideBySide" failure that requires my attention (and add the appropriate keyword)? Or that the W32Time service isn't able to contact a valid time source? What good is the ability to monitor the event log if I'm not notified of these errors? Even a simple notification that "There are 32 new Error events in the event log" would be helpful.

• Administrators

The idea of implementing a notification that will only send the amount of events per category is a lot better than receiving for each event in a category. Let's see what others have to say about this.

• 2 months later...

i agree that if you allowed all events through that you would receive more than you think. but a notification with a tally of the days error numbers would be good.

i also have an issue where if an event has occurred and a notification has been sent, if the same event occurs, an event isn't sent. this is a tad annoying.