Set low disk space threshold via script

Piers

I have a policy applied to all workstations which under Notifications > Storage is set to send a notification when a non-system partition has less than 25% (this value doesn't matter for now), however I have one workstation where I want to change this value.

I can do this using the Pulseway manager, but this involves logging onto the computer to do it. When I change this setting via Pulseway Manager I can see that it adds an entry in the registry under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\HDDList - so in theory I could script this/do it remotely without interrupting the user to log onto their PC to set it, however I can't see where the Id0 value is coming from - it doesn't seem to match the disk ID or serial number, volume name or anything else I can find with the command line.

I don't want to create a new policy just for one setting because policies don't work in the same way as Active Directory Group Policy, i.e. a policy with a single setting inherits all the settings in the policy above and just overrides that setting.

TLDR; how can I find the disk ID that Pulseway Manager sets in the registry?

@Piers I just did some testing on this with one of my VMs, and I'm pretty sure I have a solution for you.

For starters, the Id0, Id1, etc, is strictly just a pattern being used it seems.  If I add 2 drives to monitor through the Pulseway Manager, it increments by 1. So I originally did a volume, E, and it made id0.  I then did volume F and it did id1.  I then added the C in as an exception as well, to test, and it bumped it to id0 and moved the others up by 1.  So it appears for the most part, it's basically in order of the drive and then that unique "data" they are putting in those idx value fields.  In this case, that value, is actually the VolumeSerialNumber which you can find in PowerShell by using the Get-WMIObject Win32_LogicalDisk.  

So you can use PowerShell to loop through a machine, grab the disks/volumes, pull their VolumeSerialNumber, and then insert the custom requirements into the registry.  Make sure if you increase the HDDList to 2, that you make sure the Count value is also increased to 2, or 3, etc.  My example below, since I tested on 3, you can see my count is 3, and of course all the other fields match Idx, Precentagex, Priorityx, etc.

Hope this helps!

image.png.12d853e528039272f16e431ea266f9ab.png

image.png.37b323f5c7a940093e4e332a154c474a.png

Edited by Mark G38

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @Mark G38 that's great. 

Re your  feature request, I have upvoted it. I've mentioned this request a few times and do find it frustrating that the Pulseway policies don't work in a similar way to AD Group Policy and require a completely new policy just for a single change. Also if I change a setting and don't use the same policy on all devices then that setting needs to be changed in multiple policies.