Registry Software Version Updates for InstalledApplicationsSnapshot

Brant

I've written a script that retrieves the application name, publisher and version from the registry entries located in "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\InstalledApplicationsSnapshot".  How can I make sure the software versions listed in this location are updated to the latest version of the applications installed?  Is there a way to force update these records?  For example, I have a mismatch in a system that the PW web dashboard is reporting Citrix Files being at version 20.9.1.0 (which is correct as of the last 24 hours), and the local registry entry for this application under the PC Monitor\InstalledApplicationsSnapshot is still reporting the previous version 20.7.7.0.

$exportPath = "C:\temp\IT\"
$exportFile = $exportPath + "installedApplications.json"

$objArray = @()

$installedApplications = Get-ChildItem "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\InstalledApplicationsSnapshot"
foreach($item in $installedApplications){
    $obj = New-Object PSObject
    $obj | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Id" -Value $item.GetValue('Id')
    $obj | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Name" -Value $item.GetValue('Name')
    $obj | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Publisher" -Value $item.GetValue('Publisher')
    $obj | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name "Version" -Value $item.GetValue('Version')
    $objArray += $obj
}

$objArray | Sort-Object -Property Publisher, Name | ConvertTo-Json | Out-File ( New-Item -Path $exportFile -Force)
$jsonOutput = Get-Content $exportFile | ConvertFrom-Json | Format-Table -Property Name, Publisher, Version -AutoSize
Write-Output $jsonOutput

Capture_PW_Citrix_Files_Version_Differences.PNG

Edited by Brant
not familiar with posting code into a message.

I checked this a.m. and the program entry listed above in the registry was updated to reflect the installed version 20.9.1.0 after some time.  I'm still curious that if I can force update these values or if there is a trigger that updates them periodically (4, 6, 12 hrs, etc.)?  I don't see anything in the Task Manager except the PulsewayServiceCheck.

Does anyone know how often are the application snapshots are refreshed/updated in "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\InstalledApplicationsSnapshot"?

• 1 month later...

I too would love to know how often the application snapshot is updated. 

As part of this, I raised a ticket to ask the question. I need to know which PC's have software uninstalled\installed on a regular basis so I can do my tasks with this. 

The response from Pulseway is that it is updated every 12 hours, however my testing does not align with that answer and I have returned to them with example that show otherwise. 

There is a timestamp in 

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\InstalledApplicationsSnapshot

so if you can work out how that translates to dd\mm\yyyy and hh:mm:ss that we can go some way to understanding its refresh period. 

Perhaps someone at Pulseway could let us know how to convert this timestamp to a human\machine readable format? Or, if anyone else knows - please share! 

My ticket is still open, so if I get more info, I'll post here for completeness. 

• 1 month later...

For forum topic completeness (and apologies for delay)

Response from Pulseway Support:

Thanks for the update. I just check with the development team that it will take 24 hrs for the report to update and they will consider decreasing the interval in future releases. I would suggest submitting a future request on the URL:https://pulseway.featureupvote.com/.

• 5 weeks later...