Workflows not running

Inevat - Michael Jones

I don't know why they set it up this way, but you need to enable the corresponding notification in order for the workflows to be triggered. I had the same issue with a workflow that was supposed to trigger when a system is back online, and I had to enable the policy setting: "Send a notification when the computer is offline" in order for it to work. I would imagine that you also need to enable "Send a notification when a user logs in with priority x" in order for your second workflow to work properly.

Honestly, I think this implementation is stupid.. I like the idea of having workflows, but I hate the fact that we need to enable notifications because it also means that they will be sent via email if you have that setup in your environment. In my particular case, you can't adjust the notification priority so an email will be sent each time the system goes offline or online (quite frankly, I don't care, but the workflow task does in order to function).

Edited by AC_Martin_J

Thanks for that feedback. I was afraid that notifications were the solution. I can't think of any better way to train my technicians not to look at notifications than to overload them with useless ones. We are currently in process of fully integrating the API into our custom front end, so my guess is we will have to turn on all these notifications and then filter what we show our technicians.

Pulseway, if you are reading this, please fix this implementation. We don't need a notification every time someone logs in just to run a workflow that updates the system name with the name of the person logging in. There are countless use cases for workflows that should not be kicked off by a notification.

• 1 month later...

Hi @Inevat - Michael Jones

I have a workflow when someone logs in to update the host name so I can search on username ("owner") of PC's. I set the notification to "Low". 

As part of this workflow, I include the step to delete the notification afterwards. That way, I don't get burdened with lots of notifications. 

On 8/20/2020 at 5:03 PM, Inevat - Michael Jones said:

There are countless use cases for workflows that should not be kicked off by a notification

But yes, also agree with this statement! 

• 4 months later...

I agree!  After watching the webinar yesterday (Feb 23, 2021), I was excited to try it.  I set up some workflows to notify ONLY when the servers (specific systems) go offline or come back online.  Nothing I did would make it run and send me an email.  I surely don't want to turn on the global notifications for systems going offline and online because I will get massive amounts of emails on this a day.  As much as I have told people to leave the machines on, there are a lot of people who turn them off when they leave and back on when they get in.  I guess I will just need to forget about the hour I wasted yesterday watching about workflows.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, RLM said:

I agree!  After watching the webinar yesterday (Feb 23, 2021), I was excited to try it.  I set up some workflows to notify ONLY when the servers (specific systems) go offline or come back online.  Nothing I did would make it run and send me an email.  I surely don't want to turn on the global notifications for systems going offline and online because I will get massive amounts of emails on this a day.  As much as I have told people to leave the machines on, there are a lot of people who turn them off when they leave and back on when they get in.  I guess I will just need to forget about the hour I wasted yesterday watching about workflows.

You can enable the offline notification just for one individual system if that's what you're looking for. Right now workflows are tied to the endpoint notifications.

-Paul