Add domain\username to header search on username

Would it be possible to add the current logged in user for each pc to the header info that shows in the middle panel. We manage several hundred pcs and the computer name of ASSET-1234 does not tell us whos using it at that time. Most end users do not know their computer names. So trying to find the computer a user is on is sometimes difficult. Having this info at hand in the search list would help that a lot.

i am only thinking this information for workstations, servers could potentially have multiple users logged in at the same time and this information would not be as useful (not to mention not enough space)

I have included a mockup of one way this could be done.

Also adding the ability to search for a current logged in user would be helpful.

pulseway suggestion.png

Edited by Continu IT Solutions

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like a great mock-up, although I'm not sure that information should be next to the computer name. But definitively somewhere in that block and searchable.
So... +1 :).

Got the same problem here, so it would help to see some more info when looking at machines.

I found a powershell script that will update the computer name to do just this elsewhere on this forums (and for the life of me I cannot find it now to give the author credit). that creates the info just like my mockup.

I modified it slightly from the original but here is the code I use:

$lastlogon = (New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell).RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\LastLoggedOnUser")
$hostname = hostname
$installtype = (New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell).RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\InstallationType")

$pos = $lastlogon.IndexOf("\")
$leftPart = $lastlogon.Substring(0, $pos)
$lastlogonusername = $lastlogon.Substring($pos+1)

if ($installtype -eq "Server") {
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\" -Name ComputerName -Value $hostname , "/" , $leftPart

}else {
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\Software\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor\" -Name ComputerName -Value $hostname , " - " ,  $leftPart , "\" , $lastlogonusername
}

Saved this as a script named Update Computername with User

Then i set the computers to notify when user logs in as a low level notification

then i created a workflow that triggers off that low level alert, runs this script, then deletes the notification and marks the workflow as a success

image.png.b77a3ca7020b6f2fc324c00844e15805.png

Now i can search on username and it works!

Edited by Continu IT Solutions