Session Control Plugin 1.3

Paul

• Administrators

Hello :) ,

Session Control allows you to view active sessions on Windows server machines and their associated files. No commands are currently implemented but I have in plan on adding a few like (Close sessions, List Shares, Delete Share).

Please take your time and read the 'readme.txt' file as it explains everything you need to know about installing, using the plugin.

My release is open-source bound by no license. That being said you can freely modify, distribute, claim as your work, sell and / or include in your copyrighted material as long as it doesn't breach Pulseway's license or terms and conditions.

Download Link: PaulCsiki.SessionControl.zip. (Version 1.3).

Changes Since 1.2

• Added support for Windows Server 2012+

Changes Since 1.1

• Fixed a bug where newer operating systems would not be recognized.
  • IP address that resolve to a hostname will now print out the hostname along with the IP address.

Any feedback and plugin ideas will be appreciated.

Screenshots:

photo 2.PNG

Edited by Paul
Added version 1.3

• Administrators
On 3/6/2012 at 8:03 PM, Cesar Lacerda said:

Hi Paul,

I tried on windows 2008 and did not work. :unsure:

I'll try on another server, now one win in 2003 and another with win2008R2.

Hello Cesar,

I am sorry to hear that it didn't work well, can you please explain what actually happened? Did the plugin display "Server OS Not Detected" on the computer details output or it just didn't show up anything at all. If it doesn't show anything please enable Diagnostic Logging from Settings tab and Diagnostics subtab. Doing so PC Monitor will start writing log details to a file called trace.log that can be found in the Pulseway installation folder.

Please copy and paste any errors that are shown there in a reply over here so I can check it out.

Also do you have Windows 2008 Service Pack 1? Please type the following command in run: "winver" and reply with the Version and Build numbers, Windows 7 SP1 is (6.1.6001).

Thank you for helping me improve my plugin.

Paul.

Great work on this plugin and look forward to the command option.

I have tried on

Windows 2003 Std = Works

Windows 2008 R2 - Not work (6.1.7601)

Windows SBS2011 - Not work (6.1.7601)

When I say not work, what happens is tap List Sessions and on SBS2011, it shows (3 times) computername$ and then what looks like a MAC address underneath. Unlike WIndows 2003, which shows User name and IP address. On Wind 2008, it just showed 1 entry computername$ with MAC address

So for me, I see MAC instead of IP address

regards

Paul

• Administrators

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback, I only tried it on Windows Server 2003 Std. Tomorrow I will look over WMI of a server 2008.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Maybe you can gather som inspiration from the openFiles and openSessions scripts in the powerOfTheShell script pack. Then you can maybe get it too work for workstation also.

Best regards

Johnni

• Administrators

Hello Johnni,

My plugin is 98% based on the openSessions script from your plugin so I can tell you for sure that if something is not working on my plugin you will have the same problem with the script.

I am installing a SBS 2011 and 2008R2 right now to perform more testing.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Glad that you could use some of it ;)

It's strange that you are having these issues then. I think when I created the two scripts I was on Windows 7, so they should defiently also work there(workstation), so properly also on Server 2008R2, which Nick123 also confirms this in his post.

http://forum.pulseway.com/topic/319-session-control-plugin/page__view__findpost__p__1389

Let me know if I can assist in anyway. :)

• Administrators

The problems should be fixed now. Check first post for the change log. Seems that I forgot to include os version 6.1.7600 in my code and that I had some parsing error in the filtering but everything should work now.

digbyp: The plugin was working fine, the COMPUTERNAME$ are local sessions which also show up on the Windows Session Manager from mmc, if you want I can rule them out from the output. Also the MAC address you specified it actually represents the IPv6 address of the local computer (The same address that your computer resolves when you ping it) and it will show the proper IPv4 address for computers that don't have IPv6 addresses. Also it was only showing you the local sessions because you didn't have any other session opened, did you look in the session manager to confirm that my plugin was missing something?

You will need to wait until the download link gets approved.

Paul.

Hi Paul, Just installed your new release (v1.1) which works very well only problem I seem to be having is when I filter by user open files are not displayed.

I.E.

List Sessions > Nick > Open Files > (Doesn't show any open files)

I tested List Files and it shows that Nick has several files open. I'm using Windows 2008 R2

Let me know if you need any more information to look into it.

Thanks

Nick

• Administrators

Hello Nick,

I am sorry to hear that your having problems with my plugin. Please enable Diagnostic Logging from Settings tab and Diagnostics subtab. Doing so PC Monitor will start writing log details to a file called trace.log that can be found in the PC Monitor installation folder.

After it's enabled please try to browse the opened files by nick and then copy and paste the resulting log file here in a reply or in a personal message, this way I will be able to understand more what's going on.

Thank You,

Paul.

Very cool!!!!!!!!!

Does the plugin allow the ability to email? Would be great to be able to drill down to a file and click the arroow in the far right corner to email the file name to someone requesting that they close the file....

Very cool!!!!!!!!!

Does the plugin allow the ability to email? Would be great to be able to drill down to a file and click the arroow in the far right corner to email the file name to someone requesting that they close the file....

Ability to email may prove challenging as email addresses are not store in user properties however sending a message to the user logged in could be possible along with forcing the file to close I would like to see these two features.

• Administrators

I am sorry but the API doesn't expose such feature, if you want I can add on the opened file details page an email button however this would work if:

1. I add email configuration to the plugin configuration form and you will have to configure it in order for it to work.
  2. PC Monitor's API is getting changed to expose email sending methods.

I'm going to wait for a response from MMSoft to see what they think of this and I will post back with the results.

PS: Also if you would like to email to someone that is not pre-configured in the plugin's configuration form you will have to wait until API v3 will get released as it will include input boxes which will make it possible for you to write the email address you want to send.

Edited by Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Great plugin! Thanks!

One question:

I'm using this for a MediaCenter PC and I would like to monitor who is connected to the shares.

Since it is using Windows 7 and not server, I don't have user accounts for each user connected to the PC.

So every user is displayed with the name "Guest" or "homegroupuser$".

Is it possible to also display the computername? (Maybe instead of the MAC address as you can see in this picture)

8uaNT.png?1

• Administrators

Hello

Again that is not a MAC address, the address bellow is an IPv6 address. MAC addresses 6 bytes separated by a dash (-). Also you are seeing them as guest or home user because your sharing settings is set to Guest authentication and you have Home sharing activated which shares your media library.

I will see if I can resolve the IP address into a NETBIOS name. I will post the results of this experiment soon.

Edited by Paul

• Administrators

Please run winver in windows 2008 server and tell me which version it's being printed out.

Example: Version 6.1 (Build 7601) .

Thank You.