Install General Programs

Austin

Are any of you using Pulseway to install applications not currently installed by third party management? I have applications that I need to install on my network that I would like to use Pulseway Automation for. I'm currently using PDQ Deploy but would like to get rid of it. Any suggestions on how to use Pulseway in this way? I attempted to work with support because I am getting a 1619 error... I tried everything I could find online to resolve this issue, but continued to get this error... I reached out to Pulseway Support, but they were less than helpful. 

Any thoughts? 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having this same issue - but the problem is that, if I'm not mistaken, I can't link to .exe.

Would the best solution in the meantime be to upload the .exe installer to a web-hosted VM and deploy to each machine on Pulseway via an automated powershell script, referencing that hosted URL with proper tags?

My environment does not have a VPN configured, and I have been tasked by the parent company to deploy the Crowdstrike Falcon Sensor - which has deliberately veered away from .msi. :( I need to deploy this on ~50 machines spread out across the country. We have no local servers, no fog node, and as I said before - no VPN. Apparently Kaspersky doesn't satisfy their requirements.

Loving the service so far - would love to get some feedback on how to best make this work in a highly cloud-based business.

The following link appears to offer viable advice for doing such a thing. Is this the best method we can hope for at current for .exe installers with Pulseway? Not an indictment, just a legitimate question from a sysadmin, simply trying to make sure I can keep people remotely employed and properly secured in the midst of this bonkers pandemic :(

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47110728/powershell-download-and-run-exe-file 

• Administrators

Hi there,

Yes, if you must use an executable installer then the automation scripts are there for you. Just upload the file on one of your web servers so your systems can reach it (dropbox works too but make sure you copy the direct link to the file) and then write a script that does the following:

a) Check to see if the software is installed

b) If the software is not installed, download and silently install it (make sure there's no user interaction required)

c) Reboot if necessary

-Paul

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an example of an install script that installs software that is downloaded from Dropbox. I obfuscated the Dropbox link. The script also depends on wget being installed, which I install on all agents using chocolatey.

@echo off
REM Check to see if the Support folder exists
IF NOT EXIST C:\Support\NUL mkdir C:\Support
REM Check if the wget.exe executable is available
REM wget.exe is a commandline downloader
REM It can be installed with chocolatey: choco install wget
REM If wget.exe exists, go ahead and download the file from Dropbox
IF EXIST C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin\wget.exe (
	C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin\wget.exe -c -nH -nv --no-check-certificate https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxxxxxxx/Custom-RUT.6.10.10.0.msi?dl=1 -O C:\Support\Custom-RUT.6.10.10.0.msi
    ) ELSE (ECHO WGET is not installed - Aborting!)
ECHO:    
REM If rutserver is not already installed, go ahead and install it
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Remote Utilities - Host\rutserv.exe" (
	msiexec /i C:\Support\Custom-RUT.6.10.9.0.msi /quiet /qn /norestart /log C:\Support\ruhost_install.log
    ) ELSE (ECHO Remote Utilities already installed - Skipping!)
::dir C:\support
ECHO:
REM Check the installation log file, to see if the install was successful
type c:\support\ruhost_install.log | find /i "Installation success or error status"
exit 0;

• 3 years later...
On 2/19/2020 at 3:19 AM, Paul said:

Hi everyone,

We're rolling out the update with the custom titles support for third party patch management. It's awesome!!

751657236_Screenshot2020-02-17at11_07_39.thumb.png.116564e6b49e55321f834b787cddf908.png

-Paul

Hey Paul, I'm fairly new to Pulseway and I'm trying to install some Tax Software to about 65 computers.  The URL I have does not point to the software and I can't find one.  I have the .exe downloaded is there any other way to deploy the software without an MSI through Pulseway?  If I had and MSI I could easily do it through group policy (I know it's old school but sometimes old school just works).