Windows 2008 R2 Server Core Installation

Marius

• Administrators

Pulseway can be installed on Windows 2008 R2 Server Core Installation.

Before installing Pulseway you will need to download and install .NET Framework 4 for Server Core from:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=22833

Instructions

• Important: Make sure that your computer has the latest Windows service pack and critical updates. To find security updates, visit Windows Update.
  • If you are installing on Windows 2008 Server R2 on Server Core, you need to install Windows 2008 Server R2 SP1 and follow the instructions below before you install .NET Framework 4
    • Turn on WoW64: Start /w ocsetup ServerCore-WOW64
    • Turn on .NET 2.0 layer: Start /w ocsetup NetFx2-ServerCore
    • Turn on .NET 2.0 layer for WoW64: Start /w ocsetup NetFx2-ServerCore-WOW64
  • On this page, locate the Download button and then click it to start the download.
  • To save the download to your computer so that you can install it later, click Save.
  • To cancel the download, click Cancel.
  • After installing .NET Framework 4 on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Server Core, it is highly recommended you install critical .NET Framework 4 updates available on Windows Update.

System requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

•  
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Server Core or later
  • Supported Architectures:
  • x64
  • Hardware Requirements:
  • Recommended Minimum: Recommended Minimum: Single processor with 1.4 GHz (x64 processor) or 1.3GHz (Dual Core) with 512 MB RAM or more
  • Minimum disk space: 2 GB (32 GB or greater required for OS)

• 3 months later...

Hi

The instructions applies also to Hyper-V Server 2008 R2

After the installation of .net framework 4 you can install PC Monitor

msiexec /i PCMonitor_x64.msi

after that, you can start

c:\Program Files\PC Monitor>PCMonitorManager.exe

and configure it as you will and start the service.

Really nice! :-)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Server Core running Hyper-V.  I first installed the app on the Virtual Server and it works like a champ, great.  I figured it would make more sense to install it on the Server Core however I'm having some problems.  I've installed .NET Framework 4 and all of the Windows Updates.  

I then execute msiexec /i pcmonitor_x64.msi 

From there I receive a mid-install error:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor."  

Ideas?  Thank you.

• Administrators

Can you please check to see if the msi file downloaded correctly and is not corrupted also make sure you are trying to install the correct msi that is for your CPU architecture.

Can you please check to see if the msi file downloaded correctly and is not corrupted also make sure you are trying to install the correct msi that is for your CPU architecture.

Sure did.  Just to be sure I tried both x64 and x86 msi files.  I doubt they're corrupt as the x64 did work just fine for a Server 2008 install.  Just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong for the server core CLI install.  msiexec /i pcmonitor_x64.msi 

UPDATE:

Well I made a little headway.  I ran msiexec /a pcmonitor_x64.msi and it did install but when I open the interface it says "The service is not installed."  I then went ahead and attempted a msiexec /i pcmonitor_x64.msi which returned the same error:

"There is a problem with the Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

I do have two identical systems running Core and both give the same error message.  Is there a reason the Service is not installing?  Please advise.

You could manually install the service.

Installing PC Monitor Service:

cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319
InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files\PC Monitor\PCMonitorSrv.exe"

Extract from manual installation guide.

Paul.

THANK YOU!  I really appreciate your willingness to hang in there.  It looks really good on my phone.  I got my own rig running for fun and I will feel better now while on vacation.  Going to test the Wake Up feature later on.  Again, thank you.

Matthew