Office 365 2FA for MS Partners

Colm Whelan

• Staff

Hi @Colm Whelan,

You will no longer be allowed to use your account details to authenticate 3rd party applications so they can access your SMTP. You will need to generate an password for apps and then use it in the settings fro the applications.

For more details please check out this link.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Using the ‘Secure Defaults’ as outlined in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/partner-center/partner-security-requirements “Implementing Azure AD security defaults”, will block ALL legacy logon, including IMAP, SMTP and POP. However, there is a solution, I've been speaking with Microsoft about their knee-jerk reaction and they've said the following:

After discussing with my colleagues from Partner Center they told me that Enable MFA for admin users and normal users should be ok for now.

You need to make sure that all users have MFA enforced. Because the base line policy was removed from Azure portal when you do not have any Azure premium license I suggest to do this from the Office 365 portal and enable MFA manually on all users

So, 2FA can be enabled and users can use App Passwords to get around the 2FA issue, only if ‘Security Defaults’ is disabled in the Azure Portal.

Cheers,

Martin

On 8/28/2019 at 8:10 PM, Matt said:

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

There is an alternative, which would be to use something like Postfix and 365 Mail Connectors for SMTP relay, I've just put this to M$ Partner Support to see if it's a viable solution and will get back to you.

Cheers,

Martin

image.png.729db726f531082cf2c6a42672504444.png

Official response from Microsoft

Edited by Martin_T