Note replies syntax and issues

Matt Wilson

I had a big issue today where replies from clients were not adding the reply as a note, but instead creating a new ticket altogether. In the end, there were 2 causes.

1) In the default PSA email templates, the Ticket number was set as #Ticket No#. This looks really weird in my opinion, when referring to a ticket number its generally "Ticket Number" or "#Ticket Number". I had removed the trailing # on most of the templates. I searched the knowledge base and forums and there was no mention, so it was only through trial and error that I realized that you HAVE to have both # at front and end of ticket number for replies to work.

2) In some templates, I removed the Ticket number all together as it really had no purpose. I would much rather use a Subject line like: "A note has been added to your ticket regarding [%Ticket Title%]" Again, through trial and error I realized for replies to work the ticket number (formatted per 1 above) must be included in the subject. There was another forum post from someone having issues with replies on CC's. In that thread they thought the same thing I did, that adding the Reply Separator field in the message body had all the needed coding to enable replies to the ticket. 

I am posting this for anyone else who may be searching for this and to also request that header info be embedded in the Reply Separator field so that it is all that is needed to enable replies as notes back to the originating ticket. Also, some documentation on this feature and associated troubleshooting may be a good knowledge base article to post.

Edited by Matt Wilson