Option to set automation tasks to run next time the agent is online

PseudoIT

We are using several powershell scripts to set things locally for pulseway as we cannot do this (on a large scale) through the web interface or dashboard - ie set the group name for a whole scope of machines

Our automation task works great for this, but only when computers are online. If a machine is offline when the automation task is set to run it does not get the settings. Some computers can go days/weeks without the setting changes.

This could be rectified with a checkbox on the automation task, similar to the one on patching policies - see the screenshot below

image.png.3eda212adea83a3cbc4937aa506f12a6.png

• Staff

Hi,

Actually, we had this option enabled for the Automation tasks in the past, but it was removed because a good few of our customers were requesting it. However we will consider the possibility to add this functionality into the future release.

Hi Chris

Could you please elaborate as to why the option was removed - If it is an option that can be disabled ie the script runs now and does not run next time the computer is online (like that checkbox appears to be) then I'm not sure I see any reason why that option would have been removed. It would appear functionality was removed with no benefit?

Please add this back in, I see no reason as to why this wouldn't be an option.

A scenario we had was:

Laptop was stolen on a train, we made a script to kill the machine and remove all crucial data. the thief was stupid enough to start the laptop on the wifi, however, we missed this as it was 3am, with this option the script could have killed the machine as soon as it came online. (not to mention send us the ip of the network)

I know encryption and tracking modules are the answer to the above issue, however, we don't want to hand over a fully working machine to a thief!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree this is a very important feature, I have to manage laptops across multiple time zones, and at most half of them are online at any given time. It should be configurable per task what behavior we prefer (for example: [ x ] run only for currently online machines, [ x ] also run on machines currently offline at next check in).

I've requested this feature before and it would be extremely helpful for us as well.  Weird that the feature existed and was removed instead of made optional.  We're only at 25 users on Pulseway and it's a pain to make sure a script gets pushed to all machines (we're having to manually track it on spreadsheets).  We're using powershell scripts for software deployments, group policy, bugfixes, etc. on non-domain machines and I couldn't imagine trying to push a script out company-wide. We've also had the same scenario that TimStark described with an employee we fired refusing to return a laptop.  Would've been nice to enable a kill script through Pulseway to hit the computer the next time it went online.

+1 this is a really handy option.

For example you have a script that checks if something is installed otherwise install it. If you run it on a Group than only the computers that are online will get it.

If you then forget it the systems that where offline won't run the task.

Making an schedule of it is possible but than you will need to have some pre-checks in your script that confirm that the "Thing you want to install" is already there or not.

That's not ideal and would be better to run once and make sure the next time the system comes online it will run.

Also with this;

Make a Queue view where you can see what actions / scripts etc. are schedules for all systems and or an extra tab under the system (Filterd view) so you can still cancel tasks so they do not run

For example you already installed it when the system was online or whatever. Than it makes no sense to execute the task again from Pulseway.

Hope this wil add some more options so we are more flexible ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...