Remote lock/wipe

RossT76

Could we have some remote security features?

Remote lock and wipe ideally.

Maybe a find my device feature too?

I know this has been requested for mobile devices ios and android, but it could be handy for laptops too

• Staff

Hi Ross,

I believe that this is already possible. 

Could we have some remote security features?

What would you consider as a remote security feature?

Remote lock and wipe ideally.

You can execute the terminal commands on the remote system from the Pulseway WebApp or from your mobile device, therefore this is already possible.

Maybe a find my device feature too?

If you will click on the 'External IP Address' from your mobile device or from the Pulseway WebApp, then you will see the location for your device on the map.

Edited by Paul
formatting fixed

Take the phrase "you can execute terminal commands" and change it to "press this button" That would be a remote security feature.

Looks like the terminal commands are only available when the device is online also.

Edited by RossT76

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Yes, the terminal commands are available only if the system is online. If the system is offline, then you can not connect to its terminal.

And yes, we can introduce the option to press the button to remove a lock, but we do not want to make it so simple.We will consider the possibility to introduce this option.

• 3 months later...

Any Serious consideration to make this a real feature to lock and or wipe the device remotely with a simple option / button?

It would be very handy that way we don't need an extra MDM to do this.

If it can be done with a script in the meantime than it would also be awesome, so provide a standard script maybe?

Also have an option to schedule a Lock / Wipe so that the next time the device connects to the Internet it will be Locked / wiped.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Any update on this feature?

I'm thinking that if a monitored device is lost or stolen it would be nice to schedule a device wipe so when it comes back online the system is locked and then securely wiped clean.

Using the command prompt you would have to be ready to know when the system is online, cumbersome.

• 6 months later...

This feature is a must-have for my organization. I might be able to convince them to look at Pulseway if it had this feature, but as it currently stands, they won't look at any solution that doesn't include a secure remote wipe functionality. (see also https://forum.pulseway.com/topic/1877-mobile-device-management/ from 2016)

The core requirement is that they need a simple way to securely wipe a laptop if it's been lost or stolen. This has to be able to be triggered even when the laptop is off, so next time it turns on it will automatically wipe. I've seen this sort of requirement often from companies that have strong data security / IP policies.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a little bit of an older post but there aren't many others along the same topic.

You will need to set up scripts to remotely wipe and lock a system down. I have created a special agent group for stolen computers where the next time they go online, the public IP address and SSID gets recorded and the (I believe to be) irreversible process of reinstalling Windows OS starts. The only caveat to this is that the stolen computer has to go online, which is typically not the case in my experience.

No, the remote wipes and locks aren't a 1-button solution. They're Powershell scripts that take 7 clicks in total to initiate if you're looking to run it manually. I'm OK with that considering the impact those have on the end system. The stolen computer group is all automated, however, which should fulfill those types of requirements.