Windows update notifications

MattK

Hi,

This might be related to this topic, but over the last week I'm seeing notifications for all updates, not just Windows Defender.

If I delete the notification it comes back again, checking the server shows "26 optional updates are available" (note "optional")

Pulseway setting: Notifications > Status > "Send a notification when critical or important updates are available with priority" = Automatic

My notification on my mobile is reading "26 important updates are available..."

Clicking into the mobile app and checking the Windows Updates it's reporting them as "important" when they aren't.

For example the server itself lists KB2386667 as recommended but it's listed as important in Pulseway.

• Administrators

Hi Matt,

Thanks for letting us know. Please send me a PM with the file generated by these powershell commands and we'll investigate the issue:

$searcher = New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Searcher
$results = $searcher.search("Type='software' AND IsInstalled = 0 AND IsHidden = 0")
($results.Updates | select-object *) > c:\updates.txt

-Paul

• Administrators

Thanks, what OS version and edition that is. Also can you attach a screenshot of what you see in the Windows Updates UI (on the updates list).

Edit: Also add the output of:

(New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.AgentInfo).GetInfo('ProductVersionString')

-Paul

The update list I sent you yesterday was for Windows Server 2016 Standard. However last night updates were installed and the server restarted and now it is not showing any updates either on the machine or in pulseway. 2016 seems to just install everything, so for now I'll leave that machine until I see the issue again.

Anyway, I still have the issue on two other machines running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, so here are the details for one of those:

---

28 optional updates are showing on Pulseway as important, marked as optional on W2k8 see new attached updates.txt

ProductVersionString returns:

Also attached are screenshots of Windows update and also Pulseway

updates.txt

15-02-2018 09-29-02.png

15-02-2018 08-14-43.png

• Administrators

Thanks for the screenshots. We'd like to have a better look at one of the affected systems via a remote session with one of our devs. Can you please send an email to support@pulseway.com and we'll get things started.

-Paul

• 1 month later...

Still broken...

I am having the same issue. (Important updates showing up as optional.)

We are using Pulseway 5.4.3 and Windows 2012 R2 shows a bunch of updates as optional that should be important (75).

Edited by Gary Haberl

• Administrators

Hi Gary,

Please run the following Powershell commands, attach the c:\updates.txt file and a screenshot of what you see in the Windows Update GUI. We'll investigate it.

$searcher = New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Searcher
$results = $searcher.search("Type='software' AND IsInstalled = 0 AND IsHidden = 0")
($results.Updates | select-object *) > c:\updates.txt

-Paul

Hi Paul,

It may be OK now. Our Techs have updated everything over the last 2 weeks, and have left me with no issues in the RMM.  If I see the issue again, I will post it here.  Maybe the system I noticed the error on had not updated it's client.??

Thanks.