Ping Multiple Machines?

Keith

I have a Ubuntu Linux machine that I have setup to monitor a number of network resources.  One of the things I want to do is pick a few locations across VPN's to look for any latency issues.  When I setup my config.xml with multiple servers, I only seem to look at the first server.  Here is an example (IP's changed to protect the innocent):

<!--Network-->
    <Network>
        <!--Ping
      - Server: server IP address or hostname-->
        <Ping Server="1.2.3.1" Enabled="true"/>
        <Ping Server="1.2.3.2" Enabled="true"/>
        <Ping Server="1.2.3.3" Enabled="true"/>
        <Ping Server="1.2.3.4" Enabled="true"/>

When I do this it appears that the ping time is the same as 1.2.3.1.  I know that 1.2.3.3 and 1.2.3.4 are a longer ping time.  So I turned off  1.2.3.1 and 1.2.3.2 like this:

<!--Network-->
    <Network>
        <!--Ping
        <Ping Server="1.2.3.1" Enabled="false"/>
        <Ping Server="1.2.3.2" Enabled="false"/>

If I do this I loose my Ping in my pulseway dashboard.  So I remove the first two lines and leave the following:

<!--Network-->
    <Network>
        <!--Ping

Now I see the longer ping time of 1.2.3.3.  Thus it appears that Pulseway only looks at the first ping statement.  Is this connect?  Does Pulseway only support one Ping?  If not, I may have found a bug.  Any help would be appreciated.

I think I have found the answer to my question and hope that someone can verify.  It appears the the "Ping Server" option allows you to ping just a single machine and this is a one per agent option.

There is another option called "PingResponse" which is farther down in the config.xml.  This allows you to ping multiple servers and set a threshold to monitor for response wise (in ms).  You can also set priorities for slow and no response.  Exactly what I was looking for.

However, I am unable to get the ping response to cause a notification.  When a response is slow or does not return my priorities are working if I look under "Ping Responses" in my dashboard.  But even when a ping response notifies at priority 0 and it goes red I do not get a notification or an alert.

• Staff

Hi,

Yes, you are correct the Ping server option is one per agent. If you enable this option, then from your mobile device or Pulseway WebApp you will be able to see the chart  which shows the network connections performance.

However, I am unable to get the ping response to cause a notification.  When a response is slow or does not return my priorities are working if I look under "Ping Responses" in my dashboard.  But even when a ping response notifies at priority 0 and it goes red I do not get a notification or an alert.

Is it possible that the Pulseway agent is registered using different Pulseway user account and you are using a different user account to logon to the Pulseway WebApp or on your mobile device. If so, then you need to configure the associated account for the system.