Monitor a DELL server.

cjs1976

Hi,

I trie to optimize the monitoring of my DELLL PowerEdge R330.

Is there someone out there who did this already? Is it better to use SNMP, or should I use the event log?

Did you use the OMSA or the iDRAC?

Thanks,
Christian.

• Administrators

I recommend you to use SNMP for sensor monitoring. See the following screenshot for an example and google for the MIBs (mib1 and mib2). (Credits go to Luis for his extensive research in the DELL MIBs)

-Paul

DELL.png

Hi Paul,

thanks, SNMP is what I try to use, but it is hard to understand the SNMP-System of PulseWay and to get the information of the hardware manufacturers.

The newest Dell OpenManage MIBs for PowerEdge (v8.4) can be downloaded here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/at/de/atbsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=N57C4

BUT THIS IS HUGE!!! I could not find a way to import this stuff to PulseWay? So I tried to enter it manually, but it is a hard work, and there is no test which can certifiy, that I entered the OID correctly.

The next question is, how does the monitoring and the notification work? Do I need to configure notification? If yes, what are the values I need to search for?

And what is with hardware where I don't get SNMP-Informations (MIB files)?

Thanks,
Christian.

P.S. I understand that it is nearly impossible to support every hardware on the world. But DELL is one of the big players!

Hi,

with the DELL support I created the following solution:

1. I don't use SNMP.

2. The DELL OpenManage Server Administrator software needs to be installed and konfigured. This software reports to the system log as 'Server Administrator'.

3. I made a simple Event log notification with this informations.

See to work ;-)

Thanks,
Christian.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, cjs1976 said:

Hi,

with the DELL support I created the following solution:

1. I don't use SNMP.

2. The DELL OpenManage Server Administrator software needs to be installed and konfigured. This software reports to the system log as 'Server Administrator'.

3. I made a simple Event log notification with this informations.

See to work ;-)

Thanks,
Christian.

Thanks for the update. Would it be possible for you to export your event log filters and attach it to this topic? It will help the community.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

so this is my solution for a simple single Dell R330. Thanks to the Dell-Support and a Tool called EventLogSourcesView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/event_log_sources_view.html).

1. Make sure the server runs with the newest drivers and software.

2. Make sure the iDRAC 8 Express is correctly configured and working. I also configured a fallback e-mail notification over the iDRAC 8 Express.

3. Install the Dell OpenMange Server Administrator and configure it for your needs.

4. In the Pulseway Agent:

4.1. Under System -> Services activate everything with DSM* (e.g. DSM SA Connect Service, DSM SA Data Manager, DSM SA Event Manager, DSM SA Shared Services) ... this should be Dell Services which needs to run!

4.2. Under Notifications -> Services activate everything with DSM* ... like before, so we get a notification if the services are not running.

4.3. Under Notifications -> Event Log -> I created two filters. One for Errors (Critical) and one for Warnings and Audit Failures (Elevated). I look only in the Event Log System, and as Source I take the services from before, but with name (e.g. Server Administrator, dcstor64, dcevt64, omsad).

Today I did some tests, and it looks like it would work without any troubles...

Greetings,
Christian.