Improve shutdown notification

Martin Stevnhoved

Hi.

When receiving the notification "The computer 'XXX' in group 'XXX' is shutting down" I am always wondering who is shutting down the server.

Could it be possible to add information about which user initiated the shutdown? I know that Windows write it to the eventlog, so the information should be available. 

If it could possible to match the users with RDP connections, so we also can see what client the user was connected from, it would something near perfect.

• The computer 'XXX' in group 'XXX' is shutting down by user 'XXX' logged on interactively.
  • The computer 'XXX' in group 'XXX' is shutting down by user 'XXX' logged on remotely from client 'XXX'.

• Administrators

Hi Martin,

This would be cool to have but what happens if there is no logged in user? Would you also like to show if the shutdown was triggered by a Pulseway user?

-Paul

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi Martin,

I did look into this and Windows APIs do not provide you with the information on who triggered the power event. It can be hardware triggered, it can be triggered through a software via the API, it can be a user signed into the console session or it can be one of the remote desktop sessions which are active. Guesswork will not be a great approach for this.

-Paul