Storage notification failure when array disappears

wchivers

We've noticed a possible issue with local space monitoring. A server RAID controller went off-line(failed), the array disappeared, and we didn't get a notification of a disk space fault. Which is probably normal as the drive letter never hit our free space threshold.

I was thinking of setting up a rule to monitor many drives and have it fall under 1 event. But performance counters seem to be based entirely on performance, and not appearance.

Is there some place else where we can monitor local storage that turn up MIA?

• 4 months later...
On 23/9/2016 at 11:01 PM, wchivers said:

We've noticed a possible issue with local space monitoring. A server RAID controller went off-line(failed), the array disappeared, and we didn't get a notification of a disk space fault. Which is probably normal as the drive letter never hit our free space threshold.

I was thinking of setting up a rule to monitor many drives and have it fall under 1 event. But performance counters seem to be based entirely on performance, and not appearance.

Is there some place else where we can monitor local storage that turn up MIA?

I'm listening at this one - we have also a lot of disk fail, but haven't figured out how to monitor them as the drive letter just disappeares without notice.

- Lasse

If the raid controller supports SNMP then I would suggest monitoring the arrays by SNMP.

additionally on a windows machine you may wish to monitor the system event log for the following event ID's

7 = Bad sectors, good sign of pending disk errors if received frequently

11 = Controller Erros

15 = SCSI port error

52 = disk about to fail