Immediate shutdown on Windows machine with Kernel-Power event

DanieleCusumano

Hi,

One of my Windows PC's went down for a disk controller error. One time it restarted and another time it shut down.

Checking the windows logs I found the disk controller error event and the Kernel-Power event (both in System log event).

I trapped the events in PC Monitor but when all this happened again the only alert from PC Monitor was for the disk controller event but nothing for Kernel-Power.

Just to understand.

If a windows machine goes down windows has just the right time to log the event but I guess PC Monitor has not got time to alert. If this is right I guess I can't trap the Kernel-Power event.

Thanks Daniele

Probably I guess, When I restart the Windows Machine I can see the log written but at this stage PC Monitor will not know I immagine.

If a scenario like this happens how am I able to know via PC Monitor? I was thinking of trapping the off network event and when the machine goes back online to check the windows log event to see if it was a shutdown...

• Administrators

Hello,

Kernel Power events are not the cause of your problem. Those events are generated at your next login time of windows. You only need to monitor for disk and controller errors.

A disk error will be logged and you will receive a notification if a bluescreen will not fire in that instance.

Paul

• Administrators

Yes, the problem is in the driver (less likely) or in the hardware. Try checking the connections of your drives and if that doesn't solve the problem you need to replace the faulty device. Before doing so you can try changing the connection port on the motherboard, low quality mainboards heat up and expand the socket ports thus loosing the connection with the data cable from time to time causing controller errors and in the end bluescreens.

Paul

• Administrators

If it's a notebook try checking if it's still under warranty, if you already opened it then you voided your warranty agreement.

Just to clear this out this was never caused by PC Monitor nor the bluscreen has anything to do with applications you installed, this is just a normal hardware failure.

Daniele, off-topic, but would be interested in hearing if Sony's support is any better than it used to be. They make the world's most beautiful notebooks (nicer than Apple, by FAR) (and I'm an ex-architect who knows and appreciates design) but my VAIO's failed early and often, and support was gruesome. As a result, I haven't bought one in about 7 years. Lemme know how it goes.

VAIOs do make a good impression on clients, I've found, and I'm launching a new biz (two, actually) where I'll be interfacing with lots of them...at least I hope so! My Dull Dell is nice enough, but doesn't have the same, visceral, "this guy knows what he's doing" impact.

Hi Jeff,

for work I've actually tried many laptops, acer, sony, toshiba.. maybe I was not fortunate during years but let me answer for all of them... all the same..grusome.

I'm an apple fan so I use Apple and I found I big difference in support for everything they produce.. from iPods to laptops and I can really say..wow..they just know what support means :)) And also..the genius bar...a genius invention :P

Apple does do a better job supporting consumer products than anyone else. They'd better, for what you pay for them!

The companies that offer enterprise products also support them pretty well (mainly thinking Dell & HP). With rare exceptions, we can skip over the "Is it plugged in?" script and get straight to the problem, and I'll have the parts or a tech next day or within hours, depending on the warranty I buy. But those same companies' consumer product support is as bad as Sony & Acer.

Oh, yeah; forgot, I had an Acer notebook too, once. Slim, lightweight and better-than-average design, but very fragile. And yes, gruesome support, though better than Sony.

Sounds like I'd better stick with enterprise products!<sigh>

OK, I'm done hijacking your thread. Sorry!

• Administrators

I'm an apple fan so I use Apple and I found I big difference in support for everything they produce.. from iPods to laptops and I can really say..wow..they just know what support means :))

Apple does do a better job supporting consumer products than anyone else.

Apple takes a computer from it's factory price adds the brand and amplifies the price with 50% then sells it. No thank you -_- . No offense intended but other than providing paid customer support and "We are sorry but for this type of question you must contact one of our phone support agents". I've been using some of their products and I can tell you for sure their products are highly overrated and overpriced. I find it shame to waste a lot of money only to buy from a brand.

If you would like good support try approaching some enterprise level products such as HP or Dell.

Apple is a successful company for it's brand not for quality products. If you're an apple customer please answer just one question, what do you do when your computer starts slowing down in time? [You buy a new one, everyone does. Nobody bothers opening one of their products to see that they apply some form of transparent glue that oxides the contacts and kills it in time.]

I'm sorry but I just couldn't help it. I can't be a fan of a product made to die only to buy a new one.

@Thread: I recommend you purchasing some SSDs as they are more safe and faster than normal hard drives.

Paul. Edited by Paul

• Administrators

Agree with some of your points and could add a few...but was trying to avoid an OS war!

Nothing wrong with the OS and no war but I was just pointing out a few facts that cost does not mean quality. And yes everyone has the right to like / dislike anything they want :lol: .