Windows Server Backup Reporting

techtripp

We manage over 100 servers most of which run Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2. We would love the ability to have reports generated for successful or unsuccessful Windows Server 2008 or R2 backups.

This is the only thing holding me back from moving forward with your software.

• Administrators

Hello,

I think Windows Backup generates events in the event log for successful or failed backup jobs. You can use PCM to monitor the specific event ids and have it deliver a PUSH or an email notification.

Reports is a planned feature that will be added to the Enterprise server, however at this moment it's not finished. You can take a look at the Roadmap post to check out the current development status.

You can also use PC Dashboard to deliver updated configuration among all installations and manage your notifications from one place.

There is also a good reply from JeffVandervoort about the configuration of backup event notifications: Link.

Paul.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

When I attempted to create a plugin for Windows Server Backup I got stuck at their API. They expose two types of APIs: function calls that only exposes the job list, without the any status nor history of backup logs. The other type of API is the PowerShell addin for WSB, which does not return backup history, only job list in a very weird way and a list of backed up files.

In other words Microsoft has made it almost impossible to make other applications work with WSB.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

That script is just the thing I was looking for. It can be adapted to be bundled into a plugin, if you want to rush ahead feel free to modify it a bit and run it using Johnni's POTS plugin.

I will reply here once I have any news.

Paul.

• 4 weeks later...

windows server backup does report in the event log for both success and failures you just need to set up pc monitor to send notifications for those event ids (4 for success and 546, 561 for failures). the only niggle i have with this is that it send the info on the details tab in event viewer rather than the general tab

gary