New Trialist - Some Questions

thankgod

Hi 

New trialist here and was wondering if the community would be able to assist with some of my queries instead of flooding official support with these queries. TYIA.

(a) Notifications

Understand that there are 2 types of the notifications - PUSH and EMAIL. Have been able to enable them using the PW Manager. If both are enabled, does that mean all devices in my account that are PUSH capable will receive these PUSH notifications while at the same time, EMAIL notifications will also be sent out?

(B) Notifications - Email

I am only trialing the professional version, not enterprise. Understand that one is able to customize the email notifications in the enterprise edition, specially, what can be customized? Subject? Body? Footer?

© Web Access

http://my.pulseway.comis a little heavy. Note on the roadmap that a HTML5 revamp is on the works. Any ETA?

(d) Inventory Report

This seems to be lacking. (Or perhaps I can't seem to find it). How do the rest carry out inventory reports i.e. in our line of work, we need to provide inventory reports (hardware/software) on a quarterly basis and PW doesn't seem to be able to fulfill this? How do the existing users of PW fulfill this?

• Staff

Hi,

Here are the answers to your questions:

a) Notifications

Understand that there are 2 types of the notifications - PUSH and EMAIL. Have been able to enable them using the PW Manager. If both are enabled, does that mean all devices in my account that are PUSH capable will receive these PUSH notifications while at the same time, EMAIL notifications will also be sent out?
Yes, that's correct.
B) Notifications - Email
I am only trialing the professional version, not enterprise. Understand that one is able to customize the email notifications in the enterprise edition, specially, what can be customized? Subject? Body? Footer?
You can customize the notification email template (body + footer) and you have the option to insert the notification message anywhere in the template by simply inserting a token.
c) Web Access
http://my.pulseway.com is a little heavy. Note on the roadmap that a HTML5 revamp is on the works. Any ETA?
We agree with you, Flash is a deprecated technology. We are working as we speak on a HTML5 revamp of the web application. While there is no official ETA, we don't think it's going to be a very long waiting time.
d) Inventory Report
This seems to be lacking. (Or perhaps I can't seem to find it). How do the rest carry out inventory reports i.e. in our line of work, we need to provide inventory reports (hardware/software) on a quarterly basis and PW doesn't seem to be able to fulfill this? How do the existing users of PW fulfill this?
Pulseway can do a part of an inventory report (Software report is supported and Audit/Executive Reports provide a wide range of system information however with the upcoming HTML5 web application we will think on improving our report systems.

Regards,

Chris

Pulseway Support

Hi Chris 

Thank you for your response. As a new trialist, my key concerns are the web access and inventory report. Is there any more information that you might be able to provide in relation to these 2 areas? If its not appropriate to be posted, please advise if I should send in a support email. Thank you.

• Staff

Hi,

We rarely provide ETAs due to our dedication to the product quality. We only release top-notch software which will not put the user's security at risk nor have any functionality or user interface defects. As I previously said, we are working on the web interface as we speak and we expect a public beta of the product this year however the inventory report may come after the HTML5 web application is released.

Regards,

Chris

Pulseway Support

Hi 

Would anyone care to share what notifications are you setting for the machines?

i.e. Event Log 

i.e. Services

i.e. Processes

Is there a "standard" check list that can be imported?

Edit Addon For Clarity:

I'm probably asking for too much but I'll ask anyway. I'm not sure if it exists but if there is someway where I can get my hands onto exported PW Event Log Filters, PW Performance Counters, it will be great. These are probably standard checks/tests that should be monitored to a typical workstation.

• Staff

Hi,

On a regular basis we monitor the RDP, IIS and a web deployment service on the production servers. In regards to processes, we only check to see how much memory IIS worker processes consume. We have a couple of event log filters that monitor failed logins (rdp and console), disk errors, UPS power warnings and some proprietary events written by some scripts we've developed over time. On the performance counters, we monitor the network usage (and notify if it's too low or too high), SQL transactions per second and disk I/O size.

Regards,

Chris

Pulseway Support

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply.

Just wondering if it would be helpful if PW could provide downloads of the exported event log filters, performance counters and service monitor. These exports could be labelled as "standard checks" something that one could start-off and work on. For example, Failed Logins, Disk Errors, Critical Events etc.

Hi,

We will prepare some configuration exports and I will post them here.

Regards,

Chris

Pulseway Support

Thanks Chris. Probably a new thread and pin it up. I'm sure it will be helpful for the rest as well. Looking forward!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm guessing that after all this time, there will be no exports posted. Too bad, it would make it much easier to get started, or to expand current functionality.

• 5 months later...

Currently trialing the product also, and maybe the request was delivered offline, but by all appearances here, it went unfulfilled. That's a disappointing perception. I realize I'm dredging up an old thread, but +1 to it being a useful request (especially during the trial when competing products do offer this out-of-the-box).