Wake on WAN only works on home wifi

Snoogans2you

Hello,

Using the iOS Pulseway app I can remotely wake my computer, lock, shut down, etc. As soon as I go off my home wifi however, the only function that doesn't work is the "wake" command. I can still lock and shut down though. I went through all the steps discussed in this thread (http://forum.pulseway.com/topic/630-help-with-wol-wake-up-didnt-works-for-me/) and none of it helped. Has anyone run into this similar problem?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same problem. It used to work fine, but now it does not, and I have no idea why. I've walked through everything that seems could possibly be preventing it from working, to no avail. Pulseway simply says "Wakeup command failed" and nothing happens.

Yes, I've opened port 9, I've done it all (including some of the things suggested which are not necessary at all). I have not "undone" anything I initially set up to get it working in the first place. But between the time it worked and now, I have updated my router's firmware, my Ethernet adapter driver (I believe), and of course many Windows updates, which are reknowned for breaking things.

I have no idea, but it's frustrating, especially now that I can't wake up my PC with the keyboard or mouse anymore (due to the use of a USB switch).

I don't see any explicit "Wake on LAN" option in my BIOS (ASUS Rampage IV Extreme motherboard), but I'm 99% sure I have not changed anything since it worked, and I know I have not updated the BIOS.

Edit: I got it to work again. I did a few things out of pure disgust for having such a hard time with it. I'm not totally sure which change made the difference.

I totally disabled the Windows Firewall (not a problem since I'm behind a router, but I will re-enable it); I also disabled Win8 "fast startup" (under Control Panel > Power Options > "Choose what the power button does"), and disabled "Fast Boot" in my BIOS.

The Win8 "fast startup" option is probably what the problem was. According to this article, "fast startup" puts the PC in S4 sleep, from which WOL is not supported.

9jdWM7J.png

I'd like to have Windows Firewall enabled and for the inbound WOL firewall rule, restrict it to only allow the remote IP addresses that Pulseway would be using. Can anyone tell me what these are (or what host name(s) Pulseway uses? I'm not going to assume it's "pulseway.com").

Edit: And just like that, WOL has stopped working again! This time, I know I have not changed anything to break it. I also know the external IP address Pulseway is hitting is correct.

• Administrators

Windows Firewall should not be blocking a WoL request since that's under hardware layer (most of it). Check the BIOS settings that WoL is still enabled, see if there were any Windows Updates that could have updated your NIC driver or your Windows 8 shutdown settings back to their defaults. It's also worth checking that the NIC's driver's Advanced tab to see if the WoL is enabled (if your NIC's driver supports software setting) and go to the Power Management tab and see if the checkbox "Allow this device to wake up the computer" is checked.

Paul

I found a WOL setting in my BIOS (it was very well hidden). It was enabled. For grins and giggles, I disabled it, restarted, then enabled it again. I am running the very latest NIC drivers, and WOL and every affiliated setting is most definitely enabled there. The Windows 8 "fast startup" setting is still disabled. The NIC entry in Device Manager has no "allow this device to wake up the computer" entry under the Power Management tab.

Thanks, though.

Thanks, but why do people keep saying to install "Simple TCP/IP Services"? WOL used to work perfectly for me, and I never installed that stuff. Recently I installed it, and WOL worked ONE TIME for me, then stopped. Win8 "Simple TCP/IP Services" is not needed for WOL to work... Or, if it is, someone needs to explain why, rather than just having people waste their time installing and uninstalling things.

P.S. I think I'll create another account, rather than deal with this ridiculous "moderator queue" which is based on a 2-year-old misunderstanding.

• Administrators

Thanks, but why do people keep saying to install "Simple TCP/IP Services"? WOL used to work perfectly for me, and I never installed that stuff. Recently I installed it, and WOL worked ONE TIME for me, then stopped. Win8 "Simple TCP/IP Services" is not needed for WOL to work... Or, if it is, someone needs to explain why, rather than just having people waste their time installing and uninstalling things.

P.S. I think I'll create another account, rather than deal with this ridiculous "moderator queue" which is based on a 2-year-old misunderstanding.

Regarding that moderator queue, you should only see that for the first post you're posting. It's a spam prevention feature of the community board software, we've all passed through that.

• 5 years later...

I am having this exact same issue and cannot find out how to fix. I have tried to contact support but I either couldn't find it or I haven't gotten a response yet. I really look forward to finding a solution for this and anyone generous enough to share I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.