New notifcations & information

AltF4

Here are some feature requests I wanted to share, to see if you (the main Developer), or other users like.

Hope these are inspiring.

--Notifications to add:

- Would it be possible to detect the difference between a Sleep and Hibernate (for a suspended state)

I am pretty sure windows broadcasts a WM message, or sends it to some WndProcs or something similar to decypher the difference.

- Under the users section, could you add:

When a user locks the computer (and report the user name that locked it)

When a user unlocks the computer (and report the user name that unlocked it)

- Supporting the 12 hour clock would also be nice, since I am use to that, and its easier to not have to do the calculations every time an alert is sent.

- Another interesting message would be the detection if the server (client/computer) is unresponsive.

This message could be sent out if another computer on the network (Ex: LAN) is setup to detect this.

Basically it would be when the client application on the iPhone (or other device) detects that the server is offline, but within the network, the NIC/IP/MAC address is still active (if this is detectable)

In this case, the notification would be sent out from an adjacent "watch dog" computer that was setup to monitor such events that may happen.

This could be useful in times of:

- Computer may be booting up still (but OS hasn't loaded, so thus the server on the computer hasn't yet)

- The computer BSOD-ed

- The computer is stuck somewhere in the boot process (at a menu, or similar)

--More info to add:

Not under notifications, but simply some other extra info to add would be:

- Under the Users area in the client iPhone app, add a section that shows the Forground Window Application

ex: Window title, process's file name description, process name, process path (option)

- Also in the User's area (or simply in the System Overview area), a nice feature to show a screen shot of what the screen actually looks like (what is being displayed on the monitors), would be very great.

I am not sure how exactly to handle this if the computer is locked - as in I am not sure if the API functions for taking a screen shot work there, so I am wondering if a mirror driver would need to be built, and run quickly to do the video (Screen) capture, and then simply stop.

- In the process list, if it is possible to do a tree-view, I would absolutely love to see the process layout in a tree of child parent relationship (like in Process Explorer or Process Hacker)

Will take some recursive programming, but I think it is well worth the effort if do-able.

I cant view processes any other way now (spoiled I guess :))

I will add to this list as/if I think of more :)

• Administrators
--Notifications to add:

- Would it be possible to detect the difference between a Sleep and Hibernate (for a suspended state)

I am pretty sure windows broadcasts a WM message, or sends it to some WndProcs or something similar to decypher the difference.

As far as I know windows sends the same broadcast message for hibernate and sleep, I remember the old days when I used to create vbs scripts on workstations to prevent them going to sleep or hibernate.

- Under the users section, could you add:

When a user locks the computer (and report the user name that locked it)

When a user unlocks the computer (and report the user name that unlocked it)

I love it the idea but I have set from my Active Directory a screensaver policy that after 10 minutes of inactivity blocks the computer with a password, this can be very annoying and it will eat a lot more bandwidth. Not sure if it's a good practice in your case too but for a few normal desktops this can be used safely, I think.

- Another interesting message would be the detection if the server (client/computer) is unresponsive.

This message could be sent out if another computer on the network (Ex: LAN) is setup to detect this.

Basically it would be when the client application on the iPhone (or other device) detects that the server is offline, but within the network, the NIC/IP/MAC address is still active (if this is detectable)

In this case, the notification would be sent out from an adjacent "watch dog" computer that was setup to monitor such events that may happen.

This could be useful in times of:

- Computer may be booting up still (but OS hasn't loaded, so thus the server on the computer hasn't yet)

- The computer BSOD-ed

- The computer is stuck somewhere in the boot process (at a menu, or similar)

You can already do this by performing pings from another monitored machines in the same LAN, or by monitoring a specific port on that machine, this way you can see if only a service fails (this would send you a notification if that service is monitored) or unresponsive.

- Under the Users area in the client iPhone app, add a section that shows the Forground Window Application

ex: Window title, process's file name description, process name, process path (option)

Great idea, this way you can identify if the process is a windows one or a virus in a different location with the same name, start-up parameters would also do the trick too.

- Also in the User's area (or simply in the System Overview area), a nice feature to show a screen shot of what the screen actually looks like (what is being displayed on the monitors), would be very great.

I am not sure how exactly to handle this if the computer is locked - as in I am not sure if the API functions for taking a screen shot work there, so I am wondering if a mirror driver would need to be built, and run quickly to do the video (Screen) capture, and then simply stop.

This is already possible for active subscribers since 2.5 beta 7. No mirror drivers are required.

- In the process list, if it is possible to do a tree-view, I would absolutely love to see the process layout in a tree of child parent relationship (like in Process Explorer or Process Hacker)

Will take some recursive programming, but I think it is well worth the effort if do-able.

I cant view processes any other way now (spoiled I guess :))

I was thinking at the exact same thing, but I'm not too sure if it would look too good on the mobile devices but it would be nice to choose to get a tree-view of the processes not the full sorted list.

Now let's wait to see what's the official reply on this.

Paul.