Maintenance mode

Martin Stevnhoved

Hi,

When a machine is in maintenance mode, it would be nice to see when it has been activated, or for how long time.

Perhaps it could also be possible to enter a quick note when putting the device into maintenance mode. Then it is a lot easier to figure out the reason for maintenance mode.

Best Regards,

Martin Stevnhoved

Abakion A/S

Hi Paul,

Ok, I am aware of device-notes.

I was thinking of a note related to maintenance, what is cleared when maintenance mode is ended.

An other idea is the possibility to enter an expected time for end of maintenance when entering maintenance. An notification could then be send if the expected end time is exceeded.

Br, Martin.

• 4 months later...

Any thoughts from the pcmonitor-team?

When I see server in maintenance mode, I have no idea why it is in the mode, how long time it has been there, and why.

When we run scripts on the server, we change the maintenancemode befor and after like example below, but it would be nice if we could set a value with a reason for the maintenance mode.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor" /v MaintenanceMode /d 1 /t REG_SZ /f

REM here comes our script!!

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\MMSOFT Design\PC Monitor" /v MaintenanceMode /d 0 /t REG_SZ /f

Best Regards,

Martin

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a use case.

We are a few administrators for our serveres.
We uses Pulseway to monitor and administrate the servers.

But we have a lot of developers and consultants working on the servers.
We have tried educating them in using maintenance mode, so we don't get alerts on high cpu, stopped services, closed TCP ports etc.

That works fine, but often they forget to disable maintenance mode, when they are done.
We sometimes discovers servers that has been in maintenance mode for days, without we knowing why.

If the maintenance mode button asks for a note/name, we would have something to indicate why the server is in this mode.
You could also introduce a "Snooze" button that enters maintenance mode for an hour or so.

• 5 weeks later...

Another flaw with maintenance mode I found yesterday ...

one of my servers was scheduled for a 5am reboot so maintenance mode was scheduled for 5-6am yesterday.

the server crashed on reboot, never came back up at all.  When I got to my terminal at ~8:20am I saw on pulse way dashboard it was offline, but it was still in maintenance mode because the client never came back online to disable maintenance mode.  Therefore I got no alert that the serer was offline after 6am like I would've hoped to get.

My suggestion, have clients store maintenance modes on your server against them so it can expire regardless of the client being active, rather then the client itself turning maintenance mode on then back off on your server.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

I must strongly support this request. We also found a server this morning in maintenance mode - probably because someone forgot to exit maintenance after work. Unfortunately we have a developer that just started 2 weeks of vacation, and we do not know if it is by mistake - or due to some unknown reasons - the server is left in maintenance. 

So an expected exit time is important - an automatic exit in xx hour is even better.

• 7 months later...

+1 on this request. It seems most of the competing software do have timers. Also would be nice to schedule maintenance by minutes, not hours. And report on servers in maintenance mode would be superb too :).

• Administrators

Hi Martin,

We don't assign ETAs on todos that are not part of our immediate Roadmap. We do however have this as a confirmed feature so I can tell you for sure that this is coming in a future release.

-Paul

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...