S.M.A.R.T disk notification

GTDFW

How does the S.M.A.R.T disk notification work?

I have over 200 desktops with this checked to send me a notification if triggered.  I have had multiple hard drives go bad without one notification. I have even installed Acronis hard drive monitor on a drive and it comes back with errors, but still nothing from Pulseway.

Does it only monitor the System (OS) drive or all attached drives (both internal and external).

We rarely see any S.M.A.R.T errors through Pulseway but have replaced a lot of faulty non-OS drives due to bad sectors (visible through HDSentinel).

• Staff

Hi,

It monitors all attached disk drives however we've had numerous reports from the community saying that Microsoft S.M.A.R.T. error detection is not to be trusted. We are considering alternatives as we speak.

Chris

• 3 years later...

We are using Crystaldiskinfo mainly for the failing disk discovery as it is the only app that shows the possibility of a failing drive early enough  - we saved a lot of systems by replacing the drive early on when the data was still reachable.

I was searching for a way to integrate its' report to Pulseway notifications, perhaps you guys should check it out.

• Staff

Hi @Maruco,

Thank you for your suggestion. I believe that these events are also written into the Windows event log, therefore we can trigger these notifications based on the events which are written into the Windows event log by using the event log filter from the Pulseway Manager -> Notifications -> Event log. For more details about this,  please check out the following article. However the most reliable option is to use the SNMP monitoring for this.

Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding this.